Newbie Stories (i.e. Doper Baby Photos)

I’m not sure if this has been done before, but I thought it might be entertaining. Somebody said in another thread that nobody really likes seeing what their old posts looked like. So I got curious, and went back searching for my first thread, and sure enough, it made me cringe.

Setting the scene: A 16 year-old Pittsurgh Magazine intern decides, after a grand-total of 3 days of lurking, to make himself known to the world with a post of blinding insight and prestige.

What he comes up with is this. A thread so wonderfully titled “Extremest Groups (Grrrr…)”

Think the incorrect spelling of “Extremist” is bad? It gets worse. He then goes on to be told by none other than Hamadryad that he’s in the wrong forum, and so gets all panicked and double-posts the thread into Great Debates. This results in a scolding by UncleBeer, mod of mods. His wonderfully mature response?

:smack::smack::smack: :smack: :smack:

And that’s all she wrote. Somehow I managed not to get my ass banned and go on to two years of posting, the improvement of which is debatable.

So what embarrasing newbie stories do you have hiding in your closet? It feels so good to share…

[sub]Disclaimer: I think it should go without saying that threads linked to from here should not be revived. Not just for the health of the boards, but for the sake of pity.[/sub]

Aw, Jester. For a minute, I thought you were name-calling, but then I saw that that guy’s name really was flathead. Whatever happened to old hflathead, anyway?

Okay, well, my sad story is when I first got here, I didn’t realize there were forums and such. I just saw threadspotting and thought that was all there was. So after I joined, there were a lot of really old threads that were getting responses. No one ever called me out, but I’m sure there was a lot of talk before I blossomed into the beautiful debutante of the SDMB that I am today. :slight_smile: (And getting proposals from no less than Crunchy Frog!)

And remember back when we were newbies at that fish message board? Well…you weren’t a newbie for long, anyway…Boy, that was fun.