News anchor wonders what all the fuss is with the anti-gay Arizona bill - Weary commentator explains

What’s The Problem With The Arizona Anti-Gay Bill? A News Anchor Has It Explained To Her.

How can you explain this to someone who so aggressively doesn’t get it. She seems genuinely baffled at what all the fuss is. The look on his face at the end when she cuts him off says it all.

That’s not a “news anchor”, that’s Shannon Bream, a FOX “News” commentator. It’s in her job description to pretend to be confused when it comes to having civil rights explained to her.

It’s downright weird when Bernie fucking Goldberg isn’t the aggressively stupid person on-screen, making you want to Force Shake him through the interwebs. I’m all confused.

With allowances for the masculine pronoun choice of the day…

I did not know that news programs needed audience surrogates.

News programs don’t.

His mistake was using something as mundane as a restaurant as an example. I like going out to eat as much as the next person, but it’s not a necessity.

Something like medical treatment is. What if a doctor refuses to treat a patient by citing their religion? And that’s the only doctor who is available?

Or what if you live in a small town, where everyone is ultra Christian and everyone conspires to deny you of services because you’re teh evil gay? Because you’re teh evil gay and everyone knows it, you can’t fill prescriptions, buy groceries, go to the movies, buy clothes, and get your car fixed. You not only suffer, but so do your children. What kind of people do they grow up to be, having been treated like second-class citizens their whole life? What does this do to a community, to have a portion of their populace marginalized just because the dominant religion rejects them?

As has been discussed in other places, the perfect example is those Southern towns where blacks were warned to get out of town by sunset. There were even travel books written warning black travelers what towns to avoid.

The set up and he scores!

Ask any Black American who is in the “bottom” 95% of the Black population. They all know somebody who can answer that question.

She sure is pretty. And dumb as a post.

nm

Dumb? Maybe not:Crimestop n The faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. In short . . . protective stupidity.

• George Orwell, A Newspeak Dictionary

Or say a Muslim denying service to a woman who isn’t covered or accompanied by an adult, male relative etc. etc.

Anyone who doesn’t get that this is the thin edge of the wedge…

I think people have a hard time with this because they can’t imagine that there wouldn’t be an alternative. If the Muslim shopkeeper doesn’t want to serve the pretty lady, why, the pretty lady can just go to the shop next door and be all the more better for it! Because FREE MARKET.

But minorities can’t always count on alternatives being there for them. If everyone in the freakin’ town has the same religious conviction and/or if all the alternatives are craptacular, then what? Pick up and move? That’s great if you’ve got money. But it sucks for the decent, non-discriminatory tax-payers in the community who paid for your education all those years. They lose out on a good real estate agent, shoe salesman, dog-walker, or preschool teacher just because the merchant class is bigoted.

And cheery.:frowning: Dumb and cheery don’t go together well. The cheeriness is wasted.

I swear to God that Fox News is bringing blonde women to new lows. They are making Barbie look good. How is this possible?

Fwiw, I thought they did a good job of teasing out the issue.

I think there are few books that have nailed their target quite so well and with such lasting power. It could have written yesterday.

And when you try to explain that, you get a roll-eyes and a contemptuous “oh, come on, stop exaggerating, that would never happen.”

That’s the standard libertarian solution for 90% of problems.