News banned on Australian Facebook pages

…there are no good guys in this story.

How on earth is it “shut[ing] off the country’s news”? All the news sites Facebook’s been linking to are still up and running, no?

I’m not on Facebook. But ever since I got internet access I’ve been drowning in news.

Yes, all other news sources are still up and running, Facebook are only shutting down news channels and links on their platform which is why I don’t see it as a very big deal
People who use Facebook as their major source of news may take a while to get used to going to other sites but it shouldn’t take that long

The level of outright bullshit being spouted with a straight face in this debate is beyond even the usual high levels.

This sort of nonsense is all over the debate, but it makes no sense. Facebook have simply said if they are going to have to pay for certain content they aren’t going to carry that content. Businesses make similar decisions all day every day.

For some reason this gets translated as Facebook gaining “control” in some Orwellian sense. Since when has being in control of one’s own business been an Orwellian evil?

The reality is that there is a clichéd narrative that Facebook is an evil out of control multinational corporation that cannot be stopped, and no one is letting the facts get in the way of that narrative, here.

I quoted from a facebook spokesman, on a facebook website. You may not agree with what facebook is saying, you may think that the kinds of decisions businesses make every day are stupid, but it is what it is.

That was in reply to thorny_locust. Sorry I’m still not fully used to the new site. I really don’t have the replying and quoting thing down well.

And the Onion have the real story:

What did you think was “outright bullshit” about what I posted?

They’re agreeing and amplifying your point. The idea that Facebook has shut down news is just bullshit.

What Mighty_Mouse said. I’m doing well with being understood today, aren’t I?

Note that I’m not agreeing with either of you. I just came here to mansplain.

Mousplain*, surely?

(*he said, mansplaining)

Thanks for clarification.

This is not a guarantee that I’ll never accidentally post outright bullshit. Could happen.

Blockquote

We’re pleased that we’ve been able to reach an agreement with the Australian government and appreciate the constructive discussions we’ve had with Treasurer Frydenberg and Minister Fletcher over the past week. We have consistently supported a framework that would encourage innovation and collaboration between online platforms and publishers. After further discussions, we are satisfied that the Australian government has agreed to a number of changes and guarantees that address our core concerns about allowing commercial deals that recognize the value our platform provides to publishers relative to the value we receive from them. As a result of these changes, we can now work to further our investment in public interest journalism and restore news on Facebook for Australians in the coming days.

Blockquote

But Facebook was defending the core principles of the internet and all that! This is so disappointing!

Hey look Mum, I blinked.

What does Murdoch think about it?

Will depend on the size of the cheque.

Facebook got some changes to the legislation as part of the deal. That includes requiring an additional round of negotiation with media companies before binding arbitration kicks in, as well as more acknowledgment of any deals Facebook reaches with publishers on its own, a government statement and government officials said Tuesday. In return, Facebook planned to restore news pages to its platform in Australia in the coming days, the statement said.

In a news conference, Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg told him that the company intends to strike commercial deals with Australian media organizations to pay for content. It did that later Tuesday, when Australian television and newspaper company Seven West Media Ltd. said it agreed to provide news to Facebook, though it didn’t immediately provide any details of the deal.

That’s what I was thinking. Thanks.