newspaper vs. radio

which is better and why…no quotes please, I really want just your opinions.

I personally feel that advertisements on tv and radio are annoying, they interrupt the enjoyment of the program, often causing me to change the channel…making the point of the ad obsoleet(sp?)…in the paper, I can read what I want without the interuption of the ads…these I look at only if I want to.

what are your feelings on this?
What about the content of radion nowadays as opposed to ten years ago, What about the newspaper content?

Personally, radio.

I can either listen to the ads, ignore them or change the channel. I seldom have the time to sit and read a paper. But I listen to talk/news radio on the way to and from work. So I get plenty of news that way.

Jeffery

I have to go with the radio, where else can you hit a few buttons and get your choice of Smokey Robinson, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Imus, NPR, Howard Stern, how to fix an appliance, what web sites suck, quasi-help from an annoying bitch Dr. Laura, one-sided political views from a fat Rush Limbaugh, and two guys and their callers talking about the fact the the Detroit Tigers and Lions SUCK EVERY FUCKING YEAR!!!

Variety baby, it’s the spice of life.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don’t have it.
George Bernard Shaw

interesting…you say you dont have time?
but yet you have time for this…

how old are you?

apparently there is a ‘lost audience’ that newspapers are not reaching…the demographics say around 30 years old I believe…grew up on MTV, fast food, etc, and we dont take the time to read like our parents did.Dont have the attention span some would say.

Please include your age in your replies…it may show a pattern

I am 33. My undergraduate degree is in journalism. My mother was a newspaper reporter and editor. I worked on school papers from Junior High through graduate school (edited the paper in law school). Yet these days I rely on newspapers to provide very little of my information. Why?

Two main reasons: the quality of most local papers has gone to hell and the internet is available as a more thorough and versatile news-gathering tool.

Of course, I read my rural community’s twice weekly paper faithfully for local news. But, the big dailies from around here, I scan once or twice a week. Nothing in 'em. And I read the Sunday paper.

Also, after being (mis)quoted a couple of times, my faith in print journalists’ fabled devotion to accuracy was severely shaken.

“Owls will deafen us with their incessant hooting!” W. Smithers

I am 30. The paper contains many things that I am not interested in. I do not need to read the sports section, all I need is the Braves score. I do not need the living section or the personals. If I want a movie listing I go to the Internet. If I want news I either listen to the radio or I go to the Internet.

Besides, newspapers cost money, the radio does not. Also, if I read the paper at work, I am considered goofing off, but if I am at the keyboard I must be working away.

Perception is reality.

Jeffery

Oh, newspapers–love 'em, feel antsy if I can’t see one every day. When I travel, I like to get the local paper to get the “feel” of that town or country.

I can skip over the things in the paper I don’t care about (ads, sports, local business), and I can clip interesting or funny articles to send to friends–try doing that with a radio!

That having been said, I do rely on the radio in the morning to tell me the weather & traffic . . .

I’m 36. I spend my lunch hour everyday with the LA Times, and about one and a half hours listening to NPR news while I drive to and from work.

My problem is that I can’t find any decent alternatives to either of these sources. No other newspaper I’ve seen could replace the LA Times and NPR certainly doesn’t have any worthy rivals on radio.

If there’s a breaking news story, though, there’s no substitute for CNN on the tube.

now this is interesting…the paper I work at is running scared from the internet…
but at the same time, you cant take the computer to the john to read on the throne either. I love to read…I savour each word, and if I want I can go back and re-savour the words.but I have the radio going all the time at my desk, in my car, and at home…

If newspapers had more____________and less_________, I would read them more.
anyone?

Common now Kelli, this is the Jerry Springer society. The answer to your question “If newspapers had more____________and less_________, I would read them more” would be more sex and less news.

In reality, why shy away from the Internet? You can print the news stories that you like and take them to the john and send them either on paper or electronically to friends.

Jeffery

where was my head?
in a few years, they will make computer desks with a toilet built into the seat!

nice idea though about the sex.

Actually, they will put computer workstations in the toilet, so that workers can be the most productive.

Jeffery

man we lost the topic fast…
ok, you cant smack a dog on the ass with a rolled up computer!
so there!

I like them all - TV, radio, newspapers. I like to think that by getting my news from all possible sources that I am more able to weed out the various slants and get the truth. Nothing like getting the same story from a conservative radio show and a liberal newspaper (or vice versa).

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

I’m 33. I listen to NPR and pretty much nothing else. Occasionally, I listen to commercial radio, but I find the ads annoying.

I gave up reading the newspaper when I started my new job a year ago. I still read the Sunday paper occasionally, but not too terribly often. I also read The New York Times on the web, though. If, however, I find myself in another location, then I will buy the local newspaper. See things through someone else’s lens, I suppose.

That said, though, I’m sitting here at work and listening to CDs. Science Friday on NPR makes my eyes glaze over.

Waste
Flick Lives!

what is npr?

NPR is National Public Radio. They broadcast “Morning Edition” in the morning and “All Things Considered” in the afternoon. These are without a doubt the best news programs on American radio. Between these shows you can also hear some great interview and magazine shows like “Talk of the Nation”, “Air Talk”, “The World” and “Monitor Radio”(A radio version of the Christian Science Monitor).

I’m 28. I grew up in San Francisco and read both the Chronicle and Examiner for years (yeah, yeah, I’ve heard it all, so no jokes about either tabloid, I mean newspaper, please). I stopped for the simple reason that they depressed me too much. Reading about the trials, troubles and injustices in the world day after day after day…it just got to be too much. Almost all of the news on the radio, except for NPR (National Public Radio), is very skimpy compared to the paper. It’s mostly the highlights of the highlights.

If I’m interested in a current event, I will almost always read a newspaper. Something about it being in print, physically in front of me, gives me a little more faith in the accuracy of what I’m being told. Why, I don’t know. Just the way I feel.

I love NPR (although they repeat programming every 8-12 hours, which is annoying during a long day) But I’d rather read than listen to the radio. I can get info a heckuva lot faster if I read than if I’m just listening. I can pick and choose what I want to read, skim or read in depth. I prefer newspapers to the net if I just want a general idea of the latest news, but if I want something specific I’ll use the net. Besides, there’s just something about holding the newspaper in your hand that you don’t get from staring at a screen (aside from the much better typography, as well).

I would read newspapers more if they went into more depth on big topics, and less coverage for “cat rescued from tree”.

“Eppur, si muove!” - Galileo Galilei

I’m 23, and I absolutely could not live without the paper. Wish I could, because the local rag (Raleigh News & Observer) isn’t worth the price of a subscription, but I feel unfulfilled if I don’t have anything to read at breakfast.

As far as I’m concerned, the radio is for music and the TV is primarily for collecting dust.