Newspapers, advertising and the Net

Printed editions of national/regional newspapers carry (sometimes extensive) advertisement sections – the Sunday edition of the NYT, for example. Why is it that we don’t find the equivalent in the Net editions? Wouldn’t that be a MAJOR source of revenues for the publishers, and a definite plus for both the advertising companies and the readership? There must be a simple explanation, but I haven’t figured it out.

I use Junkbuster. I (almost) never see any ads on the 'net.

because on the web it only takes two seconds to flip past an ad filled page. Long enough to read one ad. In a newspaper you need to look for an article among the ads, which look more similar to the article than ads on the net do, and the flip the page and smooth out the paper. At least that’s what I think.

The News & Observer in Raleigh lists all of it’s classified ads on-line as well. It helps a house hunter or job applicant get a several-hour jump on the competition!

Yer pal,
Satan

I agree with you HCow. But if all advertising was confined to a separate section, perhaps people looking for deals (or with nothing better to do :)) would want to spend a little time there. Advertising could even be organized by sectors, or indexed.