NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2013 Thread

I think it’s pretty close. Lewis is one of the best to ever play the game and Urlacher is in the vicinity of him on a lot of stats after a shorter career. That means he’s been really productive since he’s been in the league. If he performs at a similar level for another 5 years, then he’s a lead pipe lock, but I think between his reputation and popularity he’d even get in tomorrow since his stats are close enough to not disqualify him.

I’ll admit that his statistics are a bit better than I’d assumed when I said he was overrated (and he’s missed a lot less games than I thought- I was under the impression that he’d been on IR three or four times).

I did say he’d probably get in just because he is so popular. However, I still don’t think he’s as good as he gets credited with being; I look at him like Ronde Barber - a perfect player for a specific system, but not a guy you could stick in anywhere and expect him to be a star.

That said, if Barber doesn’t retire after this season, he might get in. He’s arguably the best all-around football player ever to play his position.

Agreed, but I don’t think being a perfect guy for a perfect system is a demerit. There’s any number of players who wouldn’t thrive in different systems, and being one of the best at what you do and having a system built around you is a hell of a credit. And while I agree that Urlacher would probably have struggled as a MLB on some old school, plug the middle schemes he’d almost certainly be a All-Pro and potential HoFer as a OLB, his speed, timing on the blitz and tackling ability would translate perfectly.

I’m not sold on Barber, he’s very very good but I think he’d be too overshadowed but more traditional and higher profile corners. I’m not sure any CB will get in without being a lockdown corner, there’s too much bias at that position and too many other guys who he’d compare poorly to.

There’s two ways a Cb can get in: being a great cover CB, or being a playmaker beyond his listed position.

In the former category, his stats and reputation aren’t good enough. In the latter category, he will be compared to Ronnie Lott and Rod Woodson, and there’s no way he’s in that company. I think Aeneas Williams will create a new precedent if he gets in, and may help Ronde, but we’ll see.

Lott was a safety, not a corner. As far as Woodson goes, his most impressive statistic is the all-time record for returning takeaways for scores, with 13. Guess who’s second all-time, with 11? Also, guess who the all time sack leader among cornerbacks is?

Hitler?

Stalin?

Gee, so sorry your highness. Maybe try expressing your positions more clearly and they won’t be misconstrued.

He was a (great) corner first.

And Ronde Barber can go into the Hall of Fame of biting me.