NFL offseason 2018

Funny how you failed to answer the question of whether or not Foles was “elite” before he played those games, or if he will be be “elite” after.

And amazing insight in there. If your team’s quarterback plays amazing, you have a better chance to win. That’s the kind of deep dive football analysis that is so valuable.

But we’ve gone over this countless times before. No matter how many backup QB’s who nobody considers elite BEFORE the game is played, or how many “elite” QB’s don’t win the championship, you have staked your claim, and no amount of Manning’s bad play or a journeyman’s QB great play will change your mind. Such is life.

Oh please. You’re basically saying that sports are unpredictable. Great insight.

The debate is about how you go about building a team that can overcome the widest range of random outcomes. How exactly does a GM plan to build a team around the Nick Foles of the world?

I also think people tend to forget Foles’ 2013 season, which had a phenomenal TD/INT ratio, 119 QBR, 64% completion rate, etc. It’s not like people didn’t know he could play.

He had a couple down years where he was in and out of lineups, traded to a few teams, hurt or whatever, and now here he is.

EAGLE FAN HERE!!! I was so pissed at losing Foles in the first place. Chippy-whippy did that. As some have posted, his stats were phantastic with Philly before trade and injury.

Predictions: We’re keeping both QBs. Foles will stay backup.

Both Bennetts will play for Eagles this year.

Ndamukong Suh will sign with Eagles.

That’s just MY team.
So many other incredible moves or non-moves have already pooped up in other teams.

Really excited for tomorrow.

Bridgewater at Jets, Bradford at Cards, Cousins… Broncos??

So much fun! :slight_smile:

Missed window.

Jordy Nelson, Rodgers fave and one of my faves (fantasy) I think might go to… Raiders? Carr, Crabtree, Nelson with Gruden.

I am sorry for Packer fans. I can’t imagine a Packer forum right now.

Sorry, Señor Beef. :frowning:

Beef is a Browns fan…

Which is why we’re all sorry for him.

Bzzzzt. Wrong. Again. I’m simply pointing out that, when a QB no one considered elite wins the Super Bowl, you don’t get to claim that you need an elite QB to win the Super Bowl. It actually proves the exact opposite.

You don’t build a team around Foles. That’s kinda the point. While having an elite QB is the best way to stay competitive and have success in the NFL, less than a handful of teams have that. So the question becomes, how do you find success without an elite QB? You advocate spending vast resources to take a chance at the “elite QB” lottery and paying through the nose to get guys like Cutler, while I advocate a more measured, build your team up approach. And when a guy like Foles wins the Super Bowl, or when average NFL QB’s like Case Keenum or Blake Bortles get to championship games, or when teams win the Super Bowl with bad QB play, it shows I’m closer to right than you. And claiming the exact opposite makes you sound silly.

Disappointing, for sure. He’s been a class act, and a great player for the Packers. The Packers are saying that it was a move to clear salary-cap space: Nelson was due $10.25 million this season, and they felt that they needed money to pursue free agents on defense.

The reality is that Nelson is 32 years old, and is coming off of a down year (though I’d wondered how much of that was Nelson apparently not being in sync with Brett Hundley, the way he was with Rodgers).

My brain is exploding trying to think up of trick plays the Bears can do with Trey Burton, Cameron Meredith, and Tarik Cohen. There has to be something in a playbook somewhere where three guys all get to throw the ball in a single play.

Rumor is if the Raiders land Jordy they’ll cut Crabtree, which seems silly to me. They are somewhat similar players but Crabtree is a deal right now at his salary. Jordy is one of my favorite non-Raiders but he definitely lost a step. Would love to have him as the Raiders #3 over Seth “no hands” Roberts though.

If you’re going to quote me, do it right. I said you need elite QB play to win a Super Bowl.

You can count on elite QB play from an elite QB…which is why that’s who you want on your team. It’s somewhat predictable. You can get elite QB play from the Nick Foles of the world but it’s completely unpredictable and totally useless as a governing principle for roster building.

Teams should build for sustained success. Elite QB play gets you that. Every other example you cite where a journeyman wins is a flash in the pan. Or course those teams will occasionally win, that’s why you play the games, but if you want to be good for a decade, your measured approach basically makes you average with a punchers chance of winning once if you get lucky with a QB for a few games. For every team that strikes gold 15 teams get jack shit. With that elite QB you’ll get multiple shots at the crown, even when you make roster mistakes elsewhere.

Bears release Mike Glennon. It really is the Not For Long league.
Chicago Bears Mobile: Roster moves: Bears release Glennon, Wheaton, Cooperhttp://yi.nzc.am/eNfjVc

I’m SHOCKED! Lots of rumors that we’re signing Chase Daniels to back up Mitch. No word on the Sanchise.

Edit: More than rumors I guess.

Bears also reupped with Prince Amukamara.

Happy about this move since he played pretty well. The price is a bit high for a guy that doesn’t turn the ball over, but he’s good in every other aspect. Supposedly this is Fuller insurance, but if Fuller leaves I’d actually be okay with it. Time will tell.

We also apparently figured out the kicker position, signing Cody Parkey for a boatload of money.

I mean, I know we needed a kicker, but damn that’s a big contract for a guy not named Justin Tucker. We have the cap space, so fuck it I guess, but it’s always weird to me how hard it is to find a kicker as a UDFA. Seems like we could bring 3 guys into camp and settle on one, it’s not like we’re winning the Super Bowl this year.

With Manning and Flacco in particular, it’s pretty ridiculous to call their victories “a flash in the pan.” Both the Giants and the Ravens built teams that had sustained success until they started paying their kinda-sorta-ok quarterbacks enormous salaries. Manning signed a 6 yr, $97.5 million deal before the 2009 season - up to that point, the Giants had gone 41-23 with him under center, making the playoffs all 4 years and winning one Super Bowl. They continued to be pretty good in the early years of that deal, going 27-21 and winning another super bowl before he restructured his deal prior to the 2012 season. Manning and the Giants went .607 over seven years, with five playoff appearances and 2 Super Bowl victories. Same story in Baltimore - up until they signed Flacco to God’s own mega-contract after the 2012 season, the Ravens had gone .675 over five years, never missing the playoffs, playing in three AFC Championship games, and winning the 2012 Super Bowl. That only fell apart when the started paying Flacco like he was Tom Brady.

You can have sustained success without elite quarterback play. You can’t have it if you pay your non-elite quarterback as if he were elite.

Disagree on the former, unless you define success as “regularly losing in the playoffs”. Totally agree on the latter.

BTW - Eli is the toughest guy to classify. He’s basically the Mendoza line for “elite” QBs, made more complicated by how inconsistent his play has been. When they won those 2 SBs, Eli was legitimately great. They had a hell of a pass rush, but Eli was instrumental, way moreso than 2015 Peyton Manning or 2006 Roethlisberger.

Flacco is basically the cautionary tale for Foles. The Ravens got lucky that Flacco put it together for that one magical playoff run.

Dilfer 2000 Ravens
McMahon 1985 Bears
The Rapist 2006 Steelers
Peyton 2015 Broncos