NFL - PLAYOFFS - CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME of Thrones

160 yards rushing for Raheem Mostert – in the first half.

As a fan of neither team, at what point do I turn it off?

Is it me, or is Rodgers missing more open receivers this year than in the past?

The physical, hard-nosed 49ers vs. the explosive offense of the Chiefs. Should be a great one in two weeks!

Mahomes is scary, but so is the 49er defense.

That was akin awesome.
Bless all the knees. See you in two weeks, Chefs

The way the 49ers run the ball is like the 1966 Packers. The offensive line and TE block with absolute precision and the running backs hit their holes. Minnesota and GB couldn’t stop them. Maybe KC can, but they’re a different type of running team than the Titans.

His accuracy is definitely down compared to the past. In his prime (say, 2010-2015), he was completing 66% to 68% of his passes; he’s been around 62% the past two seasons.

When a QB misses an “open” receiver, it’s also a question of whether the receiver was where he was supposed to be, and I think that’s something that’s hard for a viewer to suss out tell while watching a game. I do think that Rodgers’s accuracy isn’t what it was, but I also know that he’s had to work with a lot of young receivers the past few years, and that may also be playing a role.

I’m torn b/c I kinda want to see KC get their first title in 50 years and Andy Reid get his first title ever. But I’d love to see a modern day NFL team win with power running over the spread.

As a die-hard Packer fan I can’t say I was very surprised by the outcome. Green Bay has been inconsistent to lousy over the past months and made the playoffs from a really crappy NFC north this year. I think most Packer fans, while upset by the loss, probably didn’t really feel it was our year anyways.
Same for the Vikings. Mediocre team that got a lucky game against a New Orleans team that had a crappy game.
49ers are legit this year as well as the Chiefs. Should make for a good game.

I bleed green and gold, but the Packers are the worst 13-3 team I have even seen.

I preferred them to lose to the 49ers than lose in the Super Bowl. I have a brother-in-law who lives in KC and is a Chiefs fan to an obnoxious degree. He’d of never let me live it down if they beat Green Bay in the big game.

A lot of us were hoping for a GB win last night, but none more than the ad executive who put together the Aaron Rodgers / Patrick Mahomes State Farm ads.

Somebody must be analyzing this; I mean, surely people IN THE NFL have a way of measuring the “fault,” for want of a better word, of incomplete passes, or else you’d be at risk of completely not understanding what the problem is.
This is 50 years between Super Bowl appearances for the Chiefs; that is, of course, an all time record, since they’ve only been holding Super Bowls for 54 years. The Jets, who won SB III and haven’t been in it since, could break that record if they ever get their shit together, but there will be no other candidates for awhile. Every other franchise that was in an early Super Bowl has been an in an intervening Super Bowl (I am counting the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts as one team, of course.)

The next time it will be possible for this record to fall will be Super Bowl LXII, when it’ll be 51 years since Minnesota lost to Oakland in 1977, assuming the Vikings don’t make it between now and then.

After the Jets and Vikings, the next candidate is, interestingly, the Dolphins, who got pulverized by the Niners in 1984. That Super Bowl is interesting in that it was the last time the game was in the home market of one of the teams - they played it at Stanford, which I guess counts as being in the Niners’ home market. It’s a little closer to San Jose, I suppose.

I’m a big fan of one team, and I turned it off at halftime to watch Star Trek.

The pain is less this way. I don’t feel this way that I wasted 90 minutes.

I’m fairly certain that the teams and coaches do exactly this when they review game film. They know what play was called, and what routes the receivers should have been running. They also know what adjustments to the play should have been made if the quarterback called an audible (or if the play has different options based on what the defense is presenting, pre-snap), and how the receivers should adjust their routes if a play breaks down. My understanding is that the coaching staffs do grade all of their players on every play, based on careful study of the game films, and if, for example, Rodgers is missing a lot of open receivers, they’re likely able to figure out if it’s Rodgers’ fault, or the receivers’.

My point was that we, as fans, have no way of knowing these things, and the announcers really don’t, either (though they might make some educated guesses). One can sometimes surmise what’s gone wrong on a missed play by body language, or by who’s yelling at who after the play.

A Kansas City team in the “American” half of its sport going for its first championship in decades against a San Francisco team in the “National” half of its sport.

I wonder how bad and uncomfortable a case of deja vu the Kansas City sports fan base has right now.

Not a good comparison, though. Kind of backwards. The 49ers have, like the Royals, always been in one city.

For the next thread, may I suggest…

“SUPER BOWLing for dollars”

or, if you’re feeling more literary…

“SUPER BOWL and the pussycat”

I can’t speak for the vast majority of the KC sports fan base, but I can tell you that among my group of Royals/Chiefs fans, we have absolutely no case of deja vu.

In 2014 the Royals came out of nowhere to qualify for the playoffs and had a miraculous postseason run to reach the World Series. And then they won the World Series the next season.

In 2019 the Chiefs opened as Super Bowl favorites. They made the playoffs for the fifth straight season.

The fact that the 2014 Royals and 2019 Chiefs will both have opponents from San Francisco is rather meaningless. And we certainly don’t feel bad and uncomfortable about that fact.

I heard the game will be called “Super Bowl LIV: Joe Montana Plays with Himself”