NHL--December 2009

1. Are they picking up his salary? 2. If so does it mean Mo must go(again)?
  1. I’m not sure, My first guess would be “yes, they are,” but I can’t confirm that; after all, it was Toronto still paying Maurice last year.

2. I was under the impression Maurice signed a fairly lengthy contract in the off-season; don’t know if that’s an issue for Karmanos or not.

Mo signed a three year deal. I think one of the reasons his job is safe is that Karmanos isn’t going to shell out for three coaches at once.

Sidney Crosby is very very good

I was at the Canadians game about a week ago, the day after they beat the Panthers in overtime and just a few days before they demolished New York. They really seem to be getting really good really fast, better than last year, I just hope they don’t peak too early.

Still not much to say about Detroit. They look great for one game, okay for one or two, and then get curb stomped for three. They looked like honest to goodness cellar dwellers against Edmonton. I think it’s time to put Zetterberg and Datsyuk back together with Holmstrom and give us at least one consistent line. Helm and Draper are great together but they need some finish. Put Bertuzzi (big body in front of the net and decent scoring touch) or Leino (getting slicker with his stick handling and possible scoring touch) with them.

And for the love of Pete, can they please start playing defense? It was bad enough getting outnumbered in front of their own net. Now they’re getting outraced by opposing forwards to the net. At their best, Ozzie and Howard are steady goaltenders. They’ll never be spectacular. Given the lack of cap room to trade for a top shelf goalie without giving up equal value in talent or youth (which may be sparser than previously thought), Detroit is going to continue playing with the netminders they have rather than the netminders they want. That means playing stingy (and dare I say Bowman-esque) defense.

Went to the Kings game today. Close game but the Blues managed to win during the shootout. Fun game.

I didn’t get to watch the Habs game last night, due to choosing to get drunk with a friend instead (and a funeral today…urrgh), but I did keep an eye on the game sheet throughout the night. Awesome game for Cammalleri! I really like him. Now let’s hope they can play like that for the rest of the season!

The Stars lost another game on a shootout. Yet another Marty Turco falls asleep at the end of the game and lets in a goal. Still, the Stars really need a big, no-nonsense defenseman. They’re getting too cute late in games trying to out finesse their opponent rather than just playing physical hockey.

Devils 3, Buffalo Sabres 0. Martin Brodeur’s 103rd career shutout. Terry Sawchuk has company at the top.

When I was a kid, this record was considered untouchable, as the league leader in shutouts never had more than four or five in a season.

Congratulations, Marty. First chance at shutout number 104 happens Wednesday in Jersey, as the Devils face the Canes.

Congrats Marty! I just hope he doesn’t get #104 until Friday.

Habs beat the Flyers 3-1. I missed the first period, and it sounds like I didn’t miss much; the Flyers were ahead 1-0, but the shots were only 4-1 in favour of Philly. Ugh.

Cammalleri gets number 16, AK46 gets one, as does Bergeron on the power play. Next game is tomorrow night, down the 417 in Ottawa.

Canes win on the road!!!1:D

The Habs, with the help of the Flyers, set a new franchise record for fewest shots on goal in the whole game by both teams. The previous record was 31 - I think this was 28. It was a rather bizarre game to watch.

Paul Mara has been injured, though I haven’t heard what it could be yet (upper body?). I wonder if he’ll be back before or after Markov? :smack:

Congrats to the Canes! They need to put the Leafs back in the basement, just because!

And even more congrats to Martin Brodeur! That’s an awesome record to have, and I hope he gets #104 soon! I’m looking forward to cheering for him in front of the Team Canada nets (as someone said last night, “this guy would have to fall of the face of the earth in order to lose that starting job”!)

From here, Mara is listed as questionable for tonight’s game against Ottawa. I don’t think he’ll be out too long. Markov is still listed as out until January. Also, still no timetable for Gionta’s return.

EDIT: Mara’s injury is listed as upper body

That’s good to know! I didn’t really think it was all that serious, but they have been incredibly unlucky in their injuries this year, and lately there’s been a ton of talk about Markov coming back “early” (which I think means “sometime before February”). The “out indefinitely” for Gionta is a little weird…don’t bone breaks have a fairly standard recovery time? I hope he’s back sooner rather than later.

Habs win again, beating Ottawa 4-1. Camalleri, Kostitsyn and Bergeron each score for the second straight night, with Gomez adding the empty netter. Plekanec gets 3 assists.

Halak was the star tonight though. 45 saves!

Fun fact…Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) is a huge Habs fan…even wore a Canadiens T-shirt underneath his armor while filming the LOTR trilogy. Story here.

It was a fun game!

I hope Spacek’s injury is short-term, but it looked pretty bad. I’m glad S. Kostitsyn and Pacioretty don’t seem to be too injured despite their momentary absences from the bench, too!

I just get such a kick out of Cammalleri. He’s so excited about everything, and just so happy to be in Montreal! He’s like a big (little) Golden Retriever, just soaking in all the love and excitement!

Camalleri’s on pace to be our first guy with 40 goals since 1993-94.

And some good news for dogbutler, in case he hasn’t heard…Cam Ward is back tonight

The Stars blew a 3-0 lead yesterday and lost in a shootout against the Ducks. Ugh.

I’m looking forward to the Atlanta/Calgary game.

The Thrashers play fun hockey. Lets see a 6-0 win.