NHL--December 2009

This. :smiley:

Still not enough protection. I’m thinking slapping a pope bubble on the zamboni and letting him drive it whenever he’s due for a shift would be good.

Canes beat the Panthers, Matt Cullen gets a sweet shortie. Only 8 points out of 14th place!

Great night for the Habs; Markov’s 2 goals, three PP goals, and a 40 save shutout for Jaro.

Next up is Atlanta on Monday. Second game of a seven game road swing.

Shutout number 104 is in the books for Martin Brodeur, as the Devils blanked the Penguins 4-0 in Pittsburgh. He’s pretty much at the top of every goaltending list now; wins, games, minutes and shutouts.

And another win for the Habs in overtime; despite getting outshot 18-3 in the first period and 50-23(!) overall. 2-0 on the seven game road swing, next up is Wednesday in Carolina.

Incredible night for Brodeur. I don’t think anyone would have expected #104 to be attained against the Penguins, of all teams! (I had to laugh, though, when the SportsCentre guy was talking really quickly and I kept hearing him say “Marc Hamburger”… I struggle with the English (mis)pronunciations of some player’s names!)

I truly enjoyed watching last night’s Habs game. I was at the pub (Fluid mech exam? What?) and after the Thrashers took the lead, a friend said “Habs will tie it with 3 minutes to go, and win in OT”, and what do you know? Bergeron scores at 2:23 remaining, and gets the OT winner too! I also can’t believe how well Halak is playing - these have been two tough games for him!

Pouliot may or may not [del]exist[/del] play on Wednesday.

Habs spank the Hurricanes 5-1. Sorry, dogbutler :smiley:

Three more power play goals. Three assists for Plekanec (second in the league), and two goals for Metropolit. Pouliot really does exist; who knew? 46 saves for Halak.

No more games until Saturday (which is when the World Juniors get underway for real). Merry Christmas all!

What bothers me is that I paid $35 to watch that debacle. Sutter continues to impress me.

Penguins follow up being shut out by Brodeur by kicking the snot out of the Senators. 8-2. Malkin with the hat trick. Kunitz and Guerin with 4 points each and Sid gets 3 assists. And to think, Fleury actually somewhat stole this game. The Pens were actually outshot 47-36.

Three assists for Gomez too, I think. I didn’t get to see the game due to Christmas events (which included playing NHL 2K10), so I haven’t seen Pouliot yet, but I’ll take your word for it if you say he exists. Halak is insane…they can’t trade him right now, but damn if his value isn’t creeping up a little! They also need to sign Pleks ASAP, because the longer they wait, the more they’re going to have to pay him.

I’ll be in Cuba on Saturday, so I’ll miss the rest of this Habs road trip and the round robin for the WJHC. I’ll be back in the new year, though!

Gionta is back tonight against Ottawa; or so Facebook tells me.
Elsewhere, game show host/huge hockey fan Pat Sajak will be in Boston for the Winter Classic.
And, speaking of Mr. Sajak, his Capitals have made a trade, sending Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina to the Bluejackets for Jason Chimera.

Only about 3 more weeks the Wings need to hang on around 500 before they start to have a team back.

Team Canada’s roster for the Olympics is set. (barring injury)

Goalies: Martin Brodeur, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Roberto Luongo
Defence: Dan Boyle, Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Brent Seabrook and Shea Weber
Forwards: Patrice Bergeron, Sidney Crosby, Ryan Getzlaf, Dany Heatley, Jarome Iginla, Patrick Marleau, Brenden Morrow, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Mike Richards, Eric Staal, Joe Thornton, and Jonathan Toews.

Niedermayer is the captain, Pronger, Crosby and Iginla are the alternates.

Patrice Bergeron is a terrible pick. There’s no good reason for a second-line player like Bergeron to be on the team. There are far better players offensively and far better players defensively. Steve Yzerman has seemingly forgotten that Bergeron isn’t going to be matched up against second- and third-pairing defencemen in the critical games(well, except against the Russians)

Edit: Also, Neidermayer has lost way to much to make this blueline.

Wow, that just shows how many old guys have retired in the last four years. Not that there is anything wrong with that team, but it looks like about 60% turnover from last time, which is unusual.

Overdue turnover. The 2002 Gold medal team was kept mostly intact for 2006. Didn’t work out so well (7th place, were shutout by Switzerland(!) in the round-robin)

I’m excited for the Winter Classic. Used to love college football on New Year’s Day, but I hate the new format. Yeah, nothing more I love than coming home after a hard day at work and watching a bowl game that I probably won’t be able to stay up for and not being able to drink too much since I have to drag my ass back to work the next day.

The NHL has managed to steal the spotlight. Too bad the Flyers are so pathetic this year.