NHL: November 2015

Dubinsky is also having a disciplinar hearing today. What happened with the Malkin fight? The box score shows off setting fighting majors but neither with Dubinsky and the it says Malkin got a penalty for fighting Johansen and Johnson got a penalty for fighting Malkin. Could be a typo.

A lot of it has to do with the nature of hockey. Because of targeted hits, checks, fighting, etc, they want to avoid opponents aiming for various parts of a player’s body. (I believe in sometimes they’ll say “upper body” when it’s actually lower)

I don’t remember exactly, just that Malkin got a major for instigating. Dubinsky got one game. While I wouldn’t have minded a few more, I’m happy with the results. Sidney wasn’t seriously hurt, and this was Dubinsky’s first suspension.

With the caveat that I didn’t see the game, I don’t know what you’re complaining about. A two-minute minor is the normal call for cross-checking, unless the ref saw an obvious attempt to injure or an actual injury occurred. And a five-minute major is automatic for fighting. Malkin and Jack Johnson were both given majors for it. Dubinsky subsequently got a one-game suspension for the cross-check, presumably after video review revealed a more serious intent than the ref had seen. Malkin himself is no saint – he got two slashing calls earlier in the game.

I did watch the game. Crosby was playing right on the edge of the rules. He and Dubinsky don’t like each other. I was watching NHL gamecenter and didn’t hear any Columbus fans laughing at the cross check. Malkin was looking for trouble.I’m not sure that was the smartest move, taking Malkin off the ice for 5 minutes.

Jackets have their first 3 on 3 overtime and Cam Atkinson pulls off the game winning goal