NHL offseason news 2021, Release the Kraken

Well fuck if I’ll ever buy one again. Not that it’s likely any time soon, considering I have six already, but still. Are we eventually going to see players looking like a bunch of NASCAR drivers?

The Arizona Coyotes will be homeless after this season. The drama with this team and their arena situation seems to have been going on forever.

The current arena is located very far away from downtown Phoenix and the affluent suburbs, making it a very long traffic filled trek for fans to go to a game, especially weekdays

What are the chances that the Coyotes stay in Phoenix? I say slim. Does Quebec get them with Columbus moving to Central?

I’m sure the NHL and ESPN would fight like hell against another Canadian team. Plus I assume Montreal would as well.

I knew there’d be some stubbornness from the Coyotes orginization, releasing late last night this defiant missive:

(from President and CEO Xavier A. Gutierrez):
“We are disappointed by today’s unilateral decision by the City of Glendale to break off negotiations on a multi-year lease extension agreement. Most importantly, the Coyotes are one hundred percent committed to finding a long-term arena solution here in Arizona, and nothing will shake our determination to do what is right for our organization, residents of the entire Valley and, most important, our fans.”

:roll_eyes:
Heh - I know this is absolutely killing Bettman right now. :grin:

Been hearing buzz about Kansas City, aaaaa but can that noise - Les Nordiques have gotta got fired up again, with the perfect venue for it. (not what Bettman wants, hence the ole proverbial fish-hook in his right eye)

You crazy Penguins-Woman, you.

So any Rick Kehoe? Mike Bullard? Alexei Kovalev? the suave Mathew Barnaby?

I was in Québec City earlier this week and the bus tour guide talked about how they built that brand new arena to satisfy the NHL.

Indeed! Click on it and check it out! (well, you don’t need to)

Huh - 'tis must be the season for old-timers packing it in.

51 years at it - impressive.
Gotta say, though, I won’t miss his quite bothersome “he scooooooorrrrrrrrrrrres!” call.

-Sidney Crosby
-Evgeni Malkin
-Mario Lemieux
-Phil Kessel
-Kris Letang
-Marc-Andre Fleury

I’d LOVE to have Max Talbot, or maybe Brooks Orpik, and definitely Phil Bourque, but I doubt very much I’d find one, at least in my price range.

Chicago Blackhawks also will only allow vaccinated fans to attend games.

Edited: Maple Leafs as well

Arizona Coyotes looking at Tempe for a new arena. It’s at least near the areas of the Phoenix metropolitan area where most of the hockey or potential hockey fans are, but Phoenix still has the transplant problem, really only the NBA Suns get a lot of local support.

Tyler Bertuzzi continues to be a vaccine hold out and thus can’t play in Canada.

The Wings can dock his pay for the missed games and I hope they do.

The Bertuzzi clan really isn’t known for smart decision making.

What an idiot.

I think that some assistant coaches have also declined to get the vaccine. And there is one coach with the Sharks, IIRC, who has a medical exemption from the vaccine, but I don’t know what his status for the season will be.

Add Zac Rinaldo to the idiot list. Even if he never gets vaccinated I don’t think the Blue Jock-Itch will miss him crushingly. Forever-walrus-y CEO of Operations John Davidson said they’ll start him in the AHL instead, which got me thinking waitwaitwait - that league isn’t requiring 100% vaccination among players, staff, etc., like the NHL is? :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_thermometer:

Won’t even play in the AHL. I assume it’s easier to pay him not to play than fight with the union.

Yes it can get weirder with Evander Kane, he’s being accused of submitting a fake vaccination card.

There’s no way he plays in the NHL again

Carey Price enters the Player Assistance Program right before the season starts.

I guess I had somehow missed seeing the Kraken’s jersey till tonight.

Not a fan, 3/10.

I don’t know; they’re better than those awful grey things the Vegas guys had last season. Do they still have those?