Nice guy Christian Bale is visiting the shooting victims in the hospital. Warner Bros is quick to

That doesn’t actually make it impossible to have a bad days.

I agree with the sentiment, but with the movie already out I’m not sure his schedule is all that busy: most of the publicity appearances are over, he probably got paid enough that he doesn’t have to make any more movies for a month or two, this is Christian Bale time for him. Again, he still took the time away from lounging poolside or whatever he normally does with his free time, but it’s not like he doesn’t have the time to spare.

Did anyone say that?

I wonder how we got to hear about it, then. I don’t suppose he could possibly anticipated that word would get out.

And those of us who don’t really don’t appreciate the pressure of being the Name on which the success of an endeavor depends.

I live in an … economically challenged area where he made a movie. There were no stories accusing him of jerkitude.

Frankly, I think he risked being exposed to some serious hatred just for association with the movie.

Not a hero, or a saint, but quite possibly just a decent guy, and that’s not a small thing.

A friend of mine, who has a well developed bullshit detector, was around Mr Bale for almost a week in a completely non ~ related environment. He had no idea who he was, until someone mentioned it afterwards. This leads me to believe Mr Bale is not a raging attention whore, at least not all of the time. I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yes but these were people attending the midnight premier of his movie. Even if they care more about Batman than Christian Bale I would say that they are more likely than the average person to be impressed/happy with the visit.

Still, there’s a difference between doing what he (apparently) did and calling five TV stations beforehand and showing up with an armada of photographers. Obviously he knew this wouldn’t stay a secret, but I vote nice gesture.

Seems like a really decent thing to do. A Facebook campaign was calling for him to visit the shooting victims in the full Batman costume, but considering their last run-I’m with a guy dressed as a character from the franchise, I wasn’t convinced that was an entirely good idea. Jeans and a tshirt would have been my suggestion.

When ALL is said and done, what really matters is how the victims of the shooting are receiving Mr. Bale.

Every indication is that his visit has been warmly received. He’s gone out of his way to avoid the press and doesn’t seem to be doing it for the publicity.

Or he’s just a guy that thought he would do something nice for people who had had a bit of a rough day or two while going to see one of his films. Just saying that the whole false dichotomy thing seems a little silly when even the title of the thread starts with “Nice guy Christian Bale…” and not “Perfect Being and Saint Christian Bale blesses others with His Presence.” Plus the story didn’t break until people at the hospital hit facebook. Just makes it seem like you’ve got a bit of an axe to grind or something when you lash out at somebody simply because you don’t think an actor would do something decent.

As far as Warner Bros. distancing themselves from the visit, it might be because they’re already being sued by a person who worked at the theater but was not injured.

Probably want to avoid the appearance of any admission of fault in the matter.

Wonder what those here who thought his visit was self serving thought of the President’s visit to the hospital and victims.

From what? No reasonable person holds any of them remotely responsible for what happened. And I doubt most people can even tell you the name of the studio. It’s been 4 years since the last Dark Knight movie, and assuming the next takes another 3-4 years, this will be as purged from the short term memory as Virginia Tech.

I’ve no idea what Bale is like in person, but I think this was a good move from somebody who would not have suffered the least bit of professional damage had he not done it and, in fact, probably suffers more from having done it because of the people quick to say “It’s a PR tour”.

Christian Bale didn’t even visit the victims in hospital. What an asshole.

Christian Bale visited the victims in hospital but told the media he was going to be there and brought along a photographer. What an asshole.

Christian Bale visited the victims in hospital without media fanfare, and the only photographs that were released came from the people he was visiting, but he knew word would get out and it would be good publicity for him. What an asshole.

Christian Bale visited the victims in hospital without media fanfare, refused to have his picture taken even with his injured fans and tried to get everyone there to sign a confidentiality agreement banning them from publicly talking about his visit. What an asshole.

If the shooting victims cared if I visited, I’d go do that right now. They’re only 20 minutes away. But I’m not famous, so who cares?

Christian Bale was in a position to do something good. He did it. I think that’s great.

Yeah. It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when the lead actor does something that presumably lifts the spirits of folks whose lives were permanently altered from seeing his film.

I somehow doubt some old lady is sitting at home thinking, “I don’t care about those Batboy films, but that Christian Cale is such a nice boy, I’ll buy a ticket for the Black Night movie!”

I’ve heard rumors of his dickitude on set, but again, for some innocent people who got hurt through no fault of their own, I’m sure he made their day a little brighter.

I can’t quite figure that out myself in this thread.

Apparently, Mr. Obama is to be faulted for acknowledging the incident, for not acknowledging every instance of multiple deaths, and/or both.

Really, what did you expect?

And what is wrong with that?

Everything!

Err, not really. It was a nice thing to do on his part.

How sad is your life when the only way you can imagine someone coming to your defense is if it’s sexual in nature?

Exactly. The people that are angry about it just wanted to be angry at Bale for some bizarre, unknown reason. There was no way this could have been handled without annoying them.

Vastly different circumstances, but it all reminds me a bit of Johnny Depp visiting Great Ormond Street Hospital after they saved his kid’s life. Similar lack of publicity, only photos (that I have seen) being from camera phones. Just someone going out of his way to make the lives of some people who are having a shitty time that little bit better. A classy move.