Nice guys/gals you've worked for :)

This should be a pleasant memory for anyone. I was a security guard, beginning in 1987; my supervisor, who showed me the ropes, was a real nice guy–though he could be firm if necessary–and remarkably patient with the likes of me. :slight_smile:
I was working the graveyard shift and called him at his home–about 2 a.m.–to report about a guard at another building. He did come out, but he didn’t go to the building I reported, which was about 5 miles away and in another district. He went to the annex of the main building; I was in the main building and the annex a block away. He was a bit angry at me for calling him out, but not too angry–he saw the annex guard sitting at the desk fast asleep and woke him up–but quick!–by ringing the door buzzer (Which would wake the dead, almost)!
This guy stayed as my supervisor for a year and a half, but then he died. :frowning: He was a real friend, a fair supervisor, and a good teacher.

One of my first jobs when I came to New York as a fresh-faced young Career Girl was as executive secretary to the VP of Corporate Communications at AT&T Headquarters.

Sounds deadly, right? But my boss was SO sweet and funny and helpful that to this day I still use AT&T, out of loyalty. He even used to turn red and giggle at my jokes.

So all high-level corporate types aren’t scumballs, some of them are really very nice.

In 1985 I took a time job for a small courier company, MCL Freight, which subcontracted for Airborne Express. I had planned to stay there only a few months to get some extra cash. It turned out that it was just me and the boss who were to deliver packages for 4 cities and two counties. He planned on the business and company growing and since the pay was good, I had a brand new Isuzu P’up to drive and I would be alone all day with no one looking over my shoulder, in contact only by phone, I hired on.
Well, the company did grow, the work increased, and my boss, Mike Little, turned out to be a peach of a guy. When my car broke down, he let me take the truck home to use as transportation and to deliver my paper route with. (I had two jobs.) I only had to provide the gas. He gave me raises when he could, defended me from Airborne Express when they wanted me to try to do the impossible – like drive 20 miles BACK down my route at 4:30 PM to get a package, when I had to meet Mike at 5:00 18 miles further up, so he could take my freight and drive 38 miles to the Airborne office at a major airport to put the goods on their aircraft before it left and he had to be there by 6:00. I’d refuse and Airborne would try to get me fired and he wouldn’t do it, which could have cost him his contract.

He gave me bonuses when he could not afford to give himself one, NEVER yelled at me, even when we hired new drivers, drove miles into my area to help me out after doing his work, made me a manager and always treated me well. I wound up staying with his company. If I got into a dispute with Airborne itself, he always took my side and never made me look bad before them.

When, several years later, he lost the contract, he set it up so I was the only one hired by the incoming subcontractor out of several of us, got me a pay raise and even persuaded the new owner to make me a manager! Plus, he let me buy the Isuzu I had been using on time and at a discount!

He was the best boss I had ever had and, to this day, no one I have worked for has ever been as nice to me. Never since have I had a boss be willing to risk loosing his contract over defending my actions to a major company! Most bosses tell one to take the heat and make it up to one later. Not Mike. If he thought my judgment was correct, he went to the line for me. Plus, of all of my bosses in subsequent years, he NEVER yelled at me in front of other workers nor even in private, like so many tend to do.

Mark
“Think of it as Evolution in action.”

During what has quite possibly been one of the most wretchedly depressing points in my life, I lived in Myrtle Beach, SC. I took care of my aunt’s kids during most evenings, but during the day while they were at school I had nothing to do, so I eventually took a job waitressing at a tiny health-food lunch joint. The owners, a couple named Rocky and Kimberly, were the most wonderful people I’ve ever met. Rocky was basically a mid-thirties hippie with a trust fund, and the restaurant was Kimberly’s dream. Rocky was hardly ever around because he had two other jobs (although an injury that he sustained in a nasty car accident kept him from working at the paying one–piano player at the Carolina Opry–he was known for doing backflips off of a baby grand). His other job, strictly out of the goodness of his heart, was running a Christian street mission for men with drug/alcohol problems. Unfortunately for them, their giving nature caused them to hire a few of these people, and they were ripped off more than once.

I really wanted to work for them before I even met them (I liked the look of the place they were running), and my arrival happened to coincide with Rocky’s injury. He had been the waiter, and they were scrambling for help. They were the sweetest people I’ve ever met. They basically took me under their wing, helped me out, and although I made next to no money there, I stuck around just for the love. On my birthday, they surprised me by having their dessert baker make me a huge cake and bringing it out while I was in the middle of working. The whole restaurant sang me “Happy Birthday,” and I nearly cried. There was enough cake for all of the workers to split it, and I still took home a bunch extra for my aunt and the kids.

After I left and came back to Ohio, they gave glowing recommedations to my future employers. The last time I was in Myrtle Beach, I wanted to stop by and say thanks, but the restaurant had just closed down. I was in a funk for the rest of the trip after seeing that.

Rocky and Kimberly were two of the most truly Christian people I have ever met, and I only wish they had the slightest idea of how much their example affected my life. They were a caring and affectionate couple, devoted and compassionate employers, and all in all, good people. If everyone were like them, the world would be a much better place.

This is not the story of my nicest boss, but it has been big news here in Atlanta the last few weeks.

An Atlanta firefighter was waiting for a donor kidney, and had been for quite a while. His family was not a match, and finding a donor kidney was looking bleak. Out of curiosity, his boss asked “What’s your blood type?”. They happened to be the same type. The boss volunteered for further tests, turned out to be a match, and donated one of his kidneys to his employee! The just recently left the hospital, and both are doing fine.

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

My current boss is a sweatheart. The only thing wrong with him is he’s better looking than I am.

Mike Little.
He was about the best boss I ever worked for. He gave his employees bonuses even when he could not give himself one (he owned the small company). He gave us frequent, small raises, stood up for us if we got in trouble with the Home Office (a major overnight company), very, very rarely ever got mad at us, was always good natured and helped us out if we got bogged down with our work. If we had car problems, he even let us take the company trucks home until we got our cars fixed. If we screwed up, he did not make fun of us and he did not get angry but pointed out where we went wrong and suggested ways to prevent it if it came up again.

He was without a doubt the best boss I have ever worked for and about the only one, who, in one way or another, did not try to screw me over.

Call me behind the curve, but I just noticed someone else who is someone else.

My current boss is a real sweetie. He helped me out of the worst working situation I have ever experienced, and appreciates me for the work I do, not for the ass I (don’t) kiss.

Insert Random Witticism Here.