Nice people rock!

We all know that mean people suck, but nice people have made this week one of the best I have ever spent!

Yesterday was my birthday; I turned a ripe old 38. For my gift, my husband presented me with a potted chrysanthemum for the front porch. He knows I love them and it was a wonderful present. And I also have been given to understand that the leather coat I’ve been lusting for, lo these many weeks, shall also soon be mine. This, despite my protests that my brand-new cell phone is enough of a present! It makes me feel quite technologically decadent. I have the ringer set to the Ode to Joy. :slight_smile:

And to top things off, I received quite a wonderful surprise from a co-worker whom I greatly admire. We’ve been casual friends since we worked together on a big project some 10 years ago (though hubbie and I did spend a wonderful afternoon playing Taboo and Scattergories with other invited guests at his cabin retreat, when the big project had concluded).

Until yesterday I didn’t know that his hobby was acquiring, cleaning and collecting ancient rings. This affinity became known to me when I became the recipient of a bronze ring from the Roman era, circa first to third centuries. It probably, he says, was made in the Roman provinces, and was found at a Roman site in Eastern Europe (Moesia). Scalloped edges on the ring’s design show a Greek influence. Part of the pleasure of his hobby, he says, is giving such rings to his friends as gifts! Oh, lucky me!

I simply couldn’t be happier today! It’s bright and sunny, the trees are turning gorgeous shades of orange, red and gold. My children are healthy, beautiful and reasonably well-behaved. I seem to be appreciated at work and I’m in love with and very proud of my husband. People say I’m a youthful 38, which is good. I can still fit in my size 8 jeans and I’ve only spotted a gray hair or two. And now I wear upon my finger a nearly 2,000-year-old ring.

Nice people rock – and the month of October is the best of the whole year.

Hey! Happy belated birthday! It’s so nice and refreshing to hear positive things. Hope all remains well in your life.

Happy birthday to you.

Haaaaapy birthday to yoooouuu.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappy birthday, deeeeeeeeeeaaarrrrrrr Elllllllennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppy birrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrthdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooooooooooooo yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Happy belated Birthday, Ellen. But, I refuse to beleive you are 38, as you certainly don’t look it. Glad you had such a great day and I know you’ll look smashing in your ring and soon to be acquired new leather coat. :slight_smile:

Thank you, thank you, Violet, Zapppppppo and Tequila!

Oh and of course, Tequila, I was a mere 37 when we met, so that would explain it. :wink:

Happy birthday Ellen!! Glad you had a good day. It is refreshing to hear good tidings.

Happiest of days to you, Ellen!

May all your wishes come true, today and in the coming year.

Scotti