Nicknames you've been given

“JJ,” as those are my first two initials.

Boring.

Joe

When I started uni and moved into halls, we had a US student on the floor. One of the tales she told us from her midwest upbringing was the story of one Erwin Charles Simants, a spree killer and necrophiliac. Given that Simon and Simants sound similar, and we had the same middle name…

I spent my uni days being called either Erwin or necro

That was dead boring.

Si

Is there any chance that in English it meant Wrong Hole?

In fourth grade, “cinderella.” Every other kid was already heading for his or her adult foot size; the second-smallest feet were a 37 (the owner now wears a 39), which is a british 3. Mine were still a tiny 28 (I’m now a 36).
After spending about 9 weeks in Italy working my guts out (quite literally, gastrenteritis is fun, yay), I was asked whether I minded that “the guys” were calling me “the little spanish girl.” Why would I have minded? I’m Spanish, I look younger than I am, I’m not particularly tall and it was the kind of culture where any nickname that’s not a derivation of your name is given either in rage (which didn’t sound like the case) or as a badge of honor. Knowing that those same “guys” viewed many of the other consultants as “a bunch of stuck up foreigners” gave the nick extra value.

Had I been sipping my coffee when I read this it would have been all over my monitor.
Like Kytheria I was called Gigi, except it was my aunt who called me that. I liked it, made me feel exotic. My cousin just called me Gee. I was also called Topo Gigio, Mouse and Cricket at various times, owing to my small stature.

Most of the time I was/am just called by the shortened nick of my first name.

No fun at all - just one of the many syllables in my last name.
What is really amusing is when - at 47 - folks will say, “Has anyone ever called you Stud?”
No, brainiac - you’re the first! :rolleyes:

SeaMonkey - I was the only surfer in the group I ran around with…

Melon, my best friend in NY calls me this as I have my head shaved…
My kids call me Baldo and like to play the game Where’s Baldo?.

In the Boy Scouts it was Oatmeal, or Oat. Then in High School it was Husky.
My family will still call me Jeepers or Chipster. Most of my friends just call me by my first name.
Nobody calls me Max.

My mom gave me a lot of nicknames. Priss was one. I’ve had various others based on my name or initials. My brother and a couple of cousins called me Ronni for a while. I’ve got a co-worker who calls me R^2 (R-squared–because my initials are RR). Another co-worker calls me Red, because of my hair. But none really stick for daily use by large groups of people.

Probably the most popular of my nicknames is “Shotgun.”

This comes from the mistaken impression people have that I “shotgun” brewing competitions. It’s mistaken because “shotgunning” is entering a beer in several categories in an attempt to win something. I enter different beers in several categories in an attempt to win everything!

Around school, the nicknames are Mr. E, Ikey and Satan (by the students), and The Evil Dwarf and That Asshole in P-2 (by the faculty).

I’m called “Painter Pete” by the gaming community. This is to distinguish me from “Whisperer Pete” who is not me.

Yeah I had one from 2nd grade to 12th and I hated every minute of it.

NO, you can’t have it.

I’ve had a number of nicknames.

The first is just my surname with a y added to the end.

The second is the not very flattering “dwarf” or “hobbit”, I’m not tall and my best friends sometimes call me this.

Wavey (a physics student joke).

The Coat, I had a fluorescent jacket on site that was new and clean and earned me a nickname.

I was Paws back in college. Big hands, y’know.

Now I’m mostly Big D, as that is the first letter in my first name. Not all that imaginative, but much better than Denis the Menace, which I had as a kid.

the 5 years I lived in San Diego I didn’t drink or smoke, but boy did I love to eat. Stayed skinny too, so whenever my friends and I went out drinking, I’d order appetizers all night long. I love food.

They still, 20 years later, call me "Snacks"

I’ll stick to the names my friends called me:

In early high school I adopted Gayberry (my last name is Mayberry). It didn’t particularly bother me. It only bothered me that it wasn’t really creative.

The nickname was shortened to Gay for simplicities sake for a few months then one of my friends started calling me Guy (french like Gee - hard G). I’m not sure where this one came from but I kind of dug it for some reason.

A year or so later we were all on a ski trip and I used the word Jeez a lot and apparently it sounded like Cheese so Cheese became my nickname for quite some time. I would’ve preferred a nickname like Captain America or ‘guy with the huge cock’ or something but whatever, cheese it was.

When I went away to university I got the nickname Silent D. I always dug that name. I got that nickname for the obvious reason. After a couple years it eventually became “D”. The better part of a decade later and that’s where I am.

Stretch, from my 7th grade teacher.

Red hair, so I get an occasional Red. Last name sometimes is bastardized to Smitty.

But most people stick with calling me by my already nick-like name – Frosti. My dad liked to lengthen it to Frostbite or Frostnip. Thanks, Dad! Like I didn’t have enough problems being teased!

In high school, some folks began calling me “tweety” due to a habit of making a bird call type whistle sequence. Thankfully that name never escaped to follow me out of the hometown.

In college, when I joined a fraternity, I got “The Butler” hung onto me, and as my circle of friends is mostly fraternity guys, has stuck to this day. Most of the new guys don’t learn my real name until they’ve known me for a while… or they figure out that I’m the same “Ed” as in the list of founding members. Mostly, folks around the chapter, who aren’t members, think my name must be “Ed Butler” (Which it isn’t).

In contrast, I didn’t object to being dubbed “Gilligan” in college. Some of the soccer players (I arrived on campus a few days before freshman orientation, and the only other students already in the dorms were the aforementioned athletes and the ESL-learning residents of Japan) thought I looked like Bob Denver’s first mate character. I never saw the resemblance, but at a job I took after I graduated, one of my colleagues called me “Beatnik” because he found my beard reminiscent of that worn by Denver as Maynard G. Krebs on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.

Incidentally, my real name is Robert (nickname Bob), but I’ve never been to Denver (at least not the “Mile-High City”).