Nifty Mnemonics

And there’s the fictional Indian princess SOHCAHTOA…sin=opposite/hypotenuse
cosine=adjacent/hyp.
tangent=opposite/aadjacent
will never forget it, have never needed to use it since high school.
Renee

I remember this one, from Danny Dunn, for remembering the classes of stars:

Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me

And this for the order of the planets, from my 2XL:

My Very Excited Mother Jumped Skilfully Under Nelson’s Parachute

Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me. This is a mnemonic for something. I don’t remember what. Which could be called irony.

My favorite mnemonic is for those limestone icesickles you see in cave. Stalactite vs. stalagmite. Forget the “mite” vs. “tite” thang, look at the letter before that. Stalagmites grow up from the Ground; stalactites come down from the Ceiling. If you ever start getting “stalacmite” confused with “stalagtite”, you’re in deep trouble.

You forgot the one we all learned in grade school science for the colors of the rainbow! ROY G BIV …red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,violet

Rich “G7SUBS”

I heard it “King Paul comes over for girly shows” for kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species.

Another silly one that has stayed with me is “Purple monsters don’t always snore.” This helped to remember the order in which one should perform the calculations in an algebra problem: parenthesis, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

Does anyone remember Dr. and Mrs. Van der Tamp (or something like that) for french irregular verbs?

Wisconsin middle school students have to draw a map of the world from memory. They use

“Sunday’s Game at Green Bay Got So Long Linebackers Ignored Coaches and Got To-Go Buy Nachos”

to remember the small countries in western Africa: Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria

and “People Eating Cold Venison Get Sick Frequently”

for northern South America: Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana.

My 14 year old comments: “That got me an A.”

inconceivable? i don’t think that word means what you think it does

BorisB–For limestone deposits in caves, I always remember to “hang tite

Every Catholic schoolboy and girl knows the letters on every crucifix: INRI, or, I Nailed Right In.

Of course, the best mnemonic device is an air compressor…(ducking)

You’d think that Superman would be a good person to invite to a barbecue but trust me, he’s not. I mean, sure he can cook the hot dogs fast with his heat vision, but they all taste of charred eye boogers.

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

When my older brother was learning about the order of operations, he watched some sort of math video. Not only did they give this handy dandy mnemonic, they performed some sort of horrible musical number. Very eighties, very bad.

And very memorable. So I can’t think about the order of operations without a horrible song about my Aunt Sally playing through my head.

(And it’s parentheses, exponents, mult/div, add/sub.)

Other mnemonics:

The Tropic of Cancer is north of the Tropic of Capricorn, because Capricorn is longer, so heavier, so it goes on bottom. My geography teacher warned me that I’d never forget it, and so far, I haven’t.

Keep Pots Clean Or Family Gets Sick. = Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species.

For dative german prepositions, you can sing The Blue Danube.
“aus ausser bei mit nach seit von zu”

To conjugate the verb “sein”, which means to be, there was a whole shower routine to do. You felt silly as heck, but I’ve got it down.

My classes are optional. So is graduating.

(Get your Sig by Wally today!)

No, no, no…
The mnemonic for the planets’ order is:
Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest.

This is superior because it includes a marker for the asteroid belt.

A committee is a lifeform with six or more legs and no brain.

Ah, yes, longitude and latitude.

Longitude is north and south-long.

Latitude runs east and west-like the rungs on a latter (OK, OK, a ladder).

You’d think that Superman would be a good person to invite to a barbecue but trust me, he’s not. I mean, sure he can cook the hot dogs fast with his heat vision, but they all taste of charred eye boogers.

Martha Visits Every Monday And Just Stays Until Noon, Period.

The planets, including the asteroid belt.

Be Careful Driving Elephants Into Small Foreign Garages.

Anyone who remembers that one is probably male and over 40. I learned it in Print class in junior high. It was the order of the characters in a typesetter’s case of loose type.

It took me a minute, but I guess the T in Thoughtfully stands for Terra, right?

Yup. I suppose you could change it to “Easily” or some such if it helps you to remember it. It IS a mnemonic, after all.

A committee is a lifeform with six or more legs and no brain.

I remember a loooong time ago when I was first leaning the guitar. The strings in standard tuning are (from high to low) EBGDAE. One of the sayings to remember this is Every Boy Goes Down An Elevator. I can’t think of the others now. durrnit

For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

i don’t remember what it was for, but i had one that started with ‘my son the fishing rod…’ my, i had strange dreams that night.

“Organs gross me out. That’s organs, not orgasms.”
-the wallster

Downtown LA:
From Main you spring to Broadway and climb the hill for olives; won’t it be grand to hope and pick a flower on Figueroa?

Doesn’t run trippingly off the tongue, but I couldn’t negotiate downtown without it.

“His eyes are as green as a fresh-pickled toad,
His hair is as dark as a blackboard,
I wish he was mine, he’s really divine,
The hero who conquered the Dark Lord.”

Kings Play Chess On Fine Grained Sand

ME

And what about NORWICH, the old WWII English soldier’s favorite addition to his letters home?

kNickers Off Ready When I Come Home.

[big sigh] Gotta love those romantic Brits.

I’m your only friend
I’m not your only friend
But I’m a little glowing friend
But really I’m not actually your friend
But I am

Kinky People Only Can Find Good Sex

I’m a political prisoner trapped in a windowless cage
Cuz I stopped the slaughter of turnips by killing five men in a rage.

Whups!
Got that backwards.

Guess that’s the problem with some of these. They don’t really help when English is so lax about word order.