Nifty Mnemonics

In the “Bryn Mawr” thread, Eve treated us to Old Maids Never Wed and Have Babies for the train station stops from Philadelphia to Bryn Mawr: Overbrook, Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr.

This reminded me of the one a Seattle friend told me for remembering the downtown street sequence: Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest, for Jefferson, James, Cherry, Columbia, Marion, Madison, Spring, Seneca, University, Union, Pike, Pine.

What’s yours?

Uke

People not using sporks just might eat very messily.

The planets, from outermost to innermost. It won me an extra 5 points on my science quiz.

I remember in grade-school music class, we substituted for “Every Good Boy Does Fine” our own invention, “Epileptic Giraffes Blow Dead Fish.”

Believe me, that was a laff riot in sixth grade.

We learned that one as “Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge,” which is strange enough, but I like Eve’s better. Then again, I do have the sense of humor of a sixth grader.

Gamera is really neat, he is full of turtle meat, we’ve been eating Gam-er-aaaa…

Kings play chess on family grave stones, or King Philip came over for green salad.

Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species.

Peanut butter with bread, for the 4 fluids of the body: phlegm, bile, water, blood. Have a nice lunch :slight_smile:

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Are we kin? Visit me at The Kat House and find out!
Join the FSH Muscular Dystrophy Webring

no no no, it’s King Philip Came Over For Good Sex

I sold my soul to Satan for a dollar. I got it in the mail.

I have a question totally off the subject. What’s up with the “IP: Logged” that’s after every post now?

Bitch by Birth

Eve, I thought it was Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

Mine:
“S&ucircum;rement Seppi garde les glands bien vivants”, for the seven districts of the canton of Fribourg:
Sarine, Singine, Gruy%egrave;re, Lac, Gl&acircum;ne, Broye, Veveyse.

cleosia: there are several threads on the “IP: Logged” feature in the “About This Message Board” forum.

“Sûrement Seppi garde les glands bien vivants”, for the seven districts of the canton of Fribourg:
Sarine, Singine, Gruyère, Lac, Glâne, Broye, Veveyse.

Boy, do I hate the Windows OS.

Arnold:

Thanks! :wink:

Bitch by Birth

There was a time when you would sign a letter “BURMA” - Be Upstairs Ready My Angel. Which was a bit of a blow if she lived in a basement flat.

http://porkypies.tripod.com and http://kickthebucket.tripod.com - taste free zones for your delight

I was originally taught that King Philip came over from Geneva, Switzerland. Of course, maybe we were blurring the line between science and geography. But not history.

What’s the one about the order of the Great Lakes from west to east?

She Made Him Eat Eggs? something like that.

And while this one may be localized, I will never forget this from seventh grade: The relative order of the New York Iriquois tribes, from west to east are Seneca, Cayuga, Onondaga, Oneida, and Mohawk.
SCOOM.
So far, totally useless.

Rese(R!)voirDog:

The NEW YORK TIMES crossword puzzle always uses the HOMES acronym for the Great Lakes. Of absolutely NO use geographically.

For the resistor color code:
Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly.
Or
Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet.
Or
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,

So a 47 ohm resistor would be orange violet black. (The third band is a multiplier.)

PIP - Pizarro, Inca, Peru. (Well, it got me through a 6th grade history test and now I can’t forget it.)

The 7 Deadly Sins - L.A. Pages! Lust, Anger, Pride, Avarice, Gluttony, Envy, Sloth

Mnemonics? Sheeeit. Anyone who gets to the second year of medical school will probably be able to tell you more mnemonics than useful medical facts.

“Oh oh oh! To touch and feel virgin girls’ vaginas! Sweet Heaven!” (The twelve cranial nerves: olfactory, optic, oculomotor, trochlear, trigeminal, abducens, facial, vestibulocochlear, glossopharyngeal, vagus, spinal accessory, hypoglossal)

To remember if the above nerves are Sensory, Motor, or Both: “Some Say Marry Money, But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter More”

Go Find Rex–Make Good Sex (the three zones of the adrenal cortex–glomerulosa, fasciculata, reticulata–and their respective products–mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids, sex steroids)

Trust me, they only get worse.
Dr. J

“Seriously, baby, I can prescribe anything I want!” -Dr. Nick Riviera

I’ll never forget the one Grandma taught me, to help me remember how to spell ‘geography’:

George Earl’s Oldest Girl Rode A Pig Home Yesterday.

Dr. J., I am never letting you put me under!

Max, you reminded me of arithmetic: “A rat in Tom’s house might eat Tom’s ice cream.”

I’ve heard two mnemonics for the names of the layers of the seven-layer OSI model for network protocols, running in opposite directions:

[ul][li]All People Seem To Need Data Processing[/li][li]Pretty Darn Near The Silliest Possible Arrangement[/ul][/li]
The layers being:
[ul][li]Application[/li][li]Presentation[/li][li]Session[/li][li]Transport[/li][li]Network[/li][li]Data[/li]Physical[/ul]

The mnemonic I learned for the planets was:
My Very Elegant Machine Just Smashed Up Nine People.

…For the glory of Ed Zotti.