Nigerian Roommate scam?

Recently while searching for a roommate, I received some weird replies:

And:

Is this a new scam? Should I send my bank account info so they can prepay my rent? :wink:

There is a type of scam involving fake money orders where they offer to pay in advance and then send a phoney money order which is written for substantially more than the required sum. They ask you to deduct what they owe you and then send them the rest of the cash.

These smell like that kind of scam.

But she said she would be willing to go out with me…

Absolutely, it’s a scam.

I work in a property management office and we got a spate of these about three months ago.

I now have collected three fake money orders. :slight_smile:

I know it’s silly to play along, but I couldn’t resist. And besides, while they’re “scamming”, maybe it’s keeping them busy and away from someone else? I hope so.

Anyway, the money orders look good, but the bank was in one part of the US, the address was in another, and the envelope was stamped and postmarked from Nigeria.

The money orders are made out to my dog, by the way. Just in case I was tempted to take that $20,000 to the bank and deposit it, ‘just to see’…

In the cases earlier this year, the “potential tenant” sent us “money orders” (sorry, quotation marks seem to abound with me tonight) and then, oops! they can’t come here and rent the place, after all! Please refund the money…

Aaaaaah… he’s so cute. You should definately bring him down to the bank and get him that $20,000.

Most. Adorable. Dog. Ever.

[/hijack]

Yeah - there’s a faint aroma of scam about those emails.

I don’t get it - this Nigerian scam operation must be huge (and fairly profitable) - so what’s with the shitty grammar and obnoxious random capitalization?

I have an even bigger question…Who the hell ever falls for these scams? Seriously.

Why, the unwashed masses of American suburbanites, of course. You fall for faith healers, you’ll fall for anything.

My company, a community foundation, has a general contact email option on our website. There are a lot of nonprofit organizations who go to our website who are really searching for information on how to submit a grant application, however, every now and then we get a bizarre email from a prince, or a “hard Working social worker in A Small Community in africa serving children with aids” who wants us to send them some cash. Um…no.

Of course, I get the pleasure of reading these requests (I usually don’t read past the first line), but really, do they think we’re going to just hand over the money? Sometimes I want to write back and tell them off, but I don’t. But only because I know they probably wouldn’t get the email (even if the account was still active), or they are unlikely to understand what I would be saying, since I’d use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation and all.

I get this one all the time.

Instead of repeating myself, here’s a linky. :smiley:

I think it’s all part of the con…the mark thinks “Ah, these simple darkies, can’t even write the white man’s language, I have nothing to fear” and BOOM.

Well, I decided to respond to my friends in Africa. I replied to each, but one was no longer a valid email. This is what I wrote to ‘roke’, who expressed an interest in going out with me:

That was last night. This morning I recieved this reply.

These pictures were attached:
Pic
Pic 2

I welcome your suggestions on how I should respond to this siren.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH that is so funny. Note how the girl’s name is supposed to be “Roke,” but the first pic is called “sandrapic.” What’s sad, though, is there are probably many people who would fall for this.

By the way, where do they get these stupid names? “Roke Best?” What the hell kind of name is that?

Why not send back a photo of yourself?
Here, this one oughta do.

Sadly, it appears that Mary Winkler, who killed her preacher husband in Tennessee, earlier this year, may have been taken in by such scammers, and the murder was spurred by a heated argument between the couple over the family finances which were in ruins because of it.

I read about someone falling for the classic Nigerian Scam in Reader’s Digest. This man was a minister and ended up cleaning out the church’s coffers to help his Nigerian friends. Even as he was being taken to jail he was still convinced that the people he had been corresponding with really needed his help.

My husband got one of these in response to an ad on Craigslist for drum lessons. The writer kept referring to the lessons as “lectures”. The supposed names for his children who would be attending the “lectures” were hysterical but I can’t remember what they were. Too bad.

He just placed another ad at Craigslist so maybe he’ll get another.

Ha! I’m going to send that. Will post my reply soon.