Nine-Commandment Christians and "Justice Sunday"

Courtesy of the invaluable Media Matters for America.

James Dobson, head of Focus on the Family, speaking about “Justice Sunday” on Scarborough Country, 4/25:

Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, in a 4/26 Knight Ridder article:

Rev. Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, on Hannity and His Bitch on 4/25:

Yet, in a letter to supporters about Justice Sunday, Perkins said:

Tom Minnery, FotF’s VP for public policy, said this about the Democratic opposition to some of Bush’s judicial nominees:

Dobson himself, back in April, about Patrick Leahy, ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee:

And the kicker: the fucking slogan for Justice Sunday was “Stopping the Filibuster Against People of Faith”.

And yeah, before anyone says it, I know I shouldn’t be shocked that these people are straight-up liars, and that so many people are drinking the Kool-Aid that we run the risk of a national epidemic of people breaking through walls and shouting “Oh Yeah!”. But it’s like they’re not even trying anymore. They’re not going to great lengths to say things that are “technically true”, or to hide the things they say. They’re responding to criticisms by just flat-out lying about it. (You could call it the “O’Reilly Defense”.)

Next week on Hannity & Bitch:
Dobson: stands up, drops his pants, and starts jerking off I am not jerking off on national television right now.
Hannity: You’re absoulutely right, James. You’re not jerking off at all.
Colmes: I don’t know…I think it’s possible that some people could make the argument that you might, possibly, in fact, be jerking off.
Dobson: God-hater!
Hannity: America-hater!

Yeah, right, like Colmes (or as Al Franken put it, colmes) would have the balls to even tentatively argue with Hannity…

Hrmmmm. I guess he never really said “un-christian”. He just said “wicked and evil”.

I thought the commandment said something about bearing false witness against one’s neighbors, not oneself.

I think it works either way; if you translate it “Thou shalt not lie”; they’re lying about what they said; if you translate it “Thou shalt not bear false witness”; they’re lying in the original statements with the “evil, wicked, un-Christian” accusations.