Nine months later- Has the world changed forever (Sept. 11)

After the Septemeber 11th attacks, I kept hearing people say that the world has changed forever and “things will never be the same”.

I think they must have really meant America, as I don’t really see the September 11th attacks affecting Borneo in any signifigant way, but still…

We have a short attention span and a big ego. I never belived the “world has changed forever” line for more than a second. Tragety comes and tragety goes. The world changes forever every single day. One attack (terrible though it was) on American is not going to change things drastically. And it looks like we are already past these changes that were supposed to happen. People fly again. A couple draconian laws got passed (but if Sept. 11th hadn’t happend, different draconian laws would get passed), middle eastern people are no longer afraid to go out in public. It seems that we’ve stopped being scared.

But then again, I only know what I see. Do you think that the world did end up changing forever, and that things arn’t the same? Or was that simply emotional hype?

Well, if nothing else, the fact that you’re asking the question today indicates that something changed. After all, we’re not saying, “It’s been three and a half years since November 11, 1998 – has the world really changed since then?”

(The real reason I even bothered posting is to ask whether you’ve made any progress on that name thing.)

Emotional hype… the world hasn’t changed and really won’t change much at all.

Yes, the world has changed. For one thing, the art of counting nine months has been lost forever. In terms of calculating mensiversaries of terrorist acts, it’s not terribly important, but how the hell is the poor neighborhood gossip supposed to operate now?

Considering the shock of the event, I wouldn’t be surprised if a negative blip in the New York birth rate is reported after June 11th

The world never changes it merely repeats itself (I am a $2.50 philosopher).

That was my first thought too.

I really think the world has changed. It’s open season on terrorists now, and violence is more tolerable now than it was before September 11th. There is still more ‘security’ and by that I mean needless hastles to make people feel safe.

Basically, this was the first atrocity on American soil perpetrated by a foreign power, at least modernly. I think people are more hard-edged now, and less trusting. I think there are a significant number of people who were impacted by the tragedy, and now have a changed outlook on the meaning of terrorism. I think it is significant enough to effect politics.

Whenever someone asks the question, “Should we go in and wipe those terrorists out, or let well enough alone,” one vocal answer will be, “remember September 11th.”

Every year September 11th rolls around, every American who was born 1995 or later and who notices the date will be reminded of the impact of terrorism, instead of being reminded of absolutely nothing.

It’s not “the World Trade Center Bombing” anymore, it’s “September 11th.”

Er, sorry, 1995 or earlier

I don’t even think New York City has been changed forever in any distinct and absolute “before and after” division. It’s the most recent large incident in our history, and the towers themselves join the pantheon occupied by the Crystal Pavilion and the Croton Reservoir. No one here will ever forget it (although subsequent generations will contain people ignorant of it), but life goes on here. Heck, if terrorists slammed another airliner into another skyscraper on a weekly basis, that would be more of a distinct “when it changed” kind of thing, but even then life would go on. We’d just build down instead of up and after awhile we’d curse the fucking terrorist bombers and the rubble and the fires with the same intonation as we currently curse the bus route diversions or the parking rules. New Yorkers are like that.

I noticed the first street fair I’ve seen since 9/11/01 today on Third Avenue. It was raining, but the vendors were all out hawking their foods and wares, and the turnout wasn’t bad for a rainy day. The city keeps us busy, and tomorrow will bring new excitements (and new bullshit for us to cope with), new buildings (and new egos involved with their erection), and life does go on.

I guess it depends upon one’s personal perspective and personal involvement in the world beyond one’s nose …

If I look outward and try not to include myself, but offer my opinion nonetheless, the world hasn’t changed. People continue to go about their lives, especially Americans in their own country, blissfully ignorant. In some ways, maybe a good thing. Life goes on. In other ways, exceedingly naive.

America is still ripe for more terrorism, be it on a small scale or another major attack. I firmly believe we will get hit again on a large scale, and that the nature of the attack will dictate the future of this country. I will even go so far as to predict the major attack will be biological and/or chemical terrorism where the September 11 attacks will seem like a mere blip when it comes to death and destruction. I also do not discount the use of a nuclear weapon being used against us in America (and not just a “dirty” bomb).

That so many Americans believe the current “party line” is what scares me the most. Have you sat down and actually read the USA Patriot Act?

Personally, part of me has changed, and part of me has not.

the world has changed, but mostly because people are using 9/11 as an excuse to make changes. i think the news media make better terrorists organizations than al-queda. if you define terrorist as someone who inspires terror in people’s minds, then the news media does by using someone elses act of terror.

i’m still waiting for the media to talk about the attempted hijacking for kamakaze attack on Paris that occured in 12/1994. why doesn’t the media ask why the FAA sat on its hands for 6.5 years?

and shouldn’t the Republicans be pointing out this happened during Clinton’s watch? they beat on Clinton for everything else.

Dal Timgar

The world has changed for the Taliban. They may continue as an extreme religious sect but their days of blowing up ancient statues and oppressing entire populations are over. That will probably the most lasting legacy of the 9/11 hijackers.

The world changes every day. But the simple inertia of how people go about their daily lives really doesn’t, and hasn’t, and can’t, and won’t; except for those families most directly affected, of course.

I do think there’s more of an interest in the world among Americans now, and it’s heartening to think that it’s more along the lines of “How can people come to think that way? What have their lives been like?” than “Let’s nuke the towelheads!” I think that’s progress.

dal_timgar wrote:

Perhaps because that terrorist attempt didn’t succeed?

Or that it didn’t happen on American soil.

What’s really changed? America has woken up to the fact that there is the rest of the world out there.

It’s an often repeated sentiment but completely inaccurate in light of history. The American administration woke up to the rest of the world when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Its successors have been ceaselessly murdering, manipulating and selling it Pepsi ever since.

Unfortunately, a lot of American people were murdered for this as part of the reason on 11th September. In my experience, Americans are as decent, compassionate and deserving of respect as anybody else in the world. Occasionally morseo.

The problem is that governments are all too often confused with their citizenry by terrorists, the media and opposing governments.

The millions of victims of Suharto, Kissinger, Mobutu, Hussein, Pinochet and others can attest to American awareness of their existence for over half a century now.

Mers: the reason why the administration was able to get away with such things, however, was because of the remarkable insularity of the American public. Although it’s hardly dead, that insularity was dealt a huge blow; the American public is more aware of the world around it, even if that same public isn’t exactly fond of it.

The question, for me, is what this means in terms of American exceptionalism. On the one hand, it’s pretty obvious that the administration remains as passionately devoted to the concept as any in history (which is a sad, sorry change from the previous one, but anyway…) but I don’t think the American people will necessarily feel that way. If nothing else, the conflict in Israel (and the American-derived rhetoric that the Israeli government is using to morally justify its actions) rams home the idea that Americans are just like other people around the world, except with the sort of largely friendly and democratic neighbours that everybody else wishes they had. IMO, I’m all for it. The sooner that nonsensical notion dies, the better.

Hey, there’s a question. Is the feeling of security that Americans take for granted mostly due to Canada and Mexico? If North America had been split up into a bunch of squabbling, warlike nations like Europe, would it be a very different place? What would happen if Canada and the U.S. or Mexico and the U.S. remained actual enemies, or at least not as friendly as they are today?