No Canada, No Washing

Seen on several billboards along the Indiana Toll Road, near the Ohio border. It seemed to be trying to attract people to drive vehicles for pay (trucks? RVs? probably trucks).

I assume “no Canada” means as it says: drivers don’t have to go to Canada. I’d imagine that clearing customs etc is a wait and a hassle, so that might be a selling point.

As for no washing, does this mean that drivers ordinarily wash their own trucks, but this company is going to have other people do it instead? I kind of doubt it means that the vehicle will never be washed at all, but then again, what do I know?

Googling turns up a handful of results, which suggest that “no washing units” might be a fuller phrase–but nothing that answers my question about what it actually means, and my curiosity is piqued.

Fight my ignorance, please! Thank you.

Canada also has somewhat strict rules about people with criminal records being allowed to enter the country. In particular, a DWI will get you barred from entering Canada. I’m not sure whether a company would necessarily want to target “people with criminal records” as a hiring pool, but I assume that there are some people for whom not being asked to go to Canada would be a plus.

I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that in the States they have side of the road truck stops where the drivers can get out and shower, or whatever. In Canada, we don’t really have those.

That might be what they mean by no washing.

Sure we do.

They are targeting semi-truck drivers who have had DUIs or other issues that would prevent them from going to Canada.

Many drivers take pride in their jobs and view themselves as professionals. Historically different companies have asked them to do jobs that are “beneath them” such as unloading, washing and maintenance. It’s a point of pride to not have to wash the rig.

If you have a DUI, you’re not their buddy, guy. Sorey aboot that, eh!

OP name/post combo FTW.

I guess I haven’t really seen them in the west.

This is a WAG, back in the 90’s I hauled equipment in and out of Canada, if the equipment was used in farm or earth moving of any kind i.e. would make contact with the soil, it had to be clean of any kind of dirt. The reason given was so there wouldn’t be any kind of spores or contaminants brought across the border. That is pretty much all I remember…