No knead bread

So I’m giving this here a shot. Right now it’s in hour 3 of the first 18 hour rising process.

Anyone ever tried this? (Why yes, on hindsight, I do see that I should have asked this before.) How’d it turn out? Any tips?

ETA - I never noticed before that “knead” and “bread” should rhyme, but don’t! (At least I realized the “don’t rhyme” part before. The “should rhyme” part is the novelty.)

This is the recipe that I use- I’m sure it’s pretty much the same. I like it, but then I’m not really a bread lover- but I am a less-work lover. I especially like the popping sounds it makes when you take it out of the oven.

Yes. It turns out great. I do a version with a sourdough starter, but you might also want to check out the Cooks Illustrated version which adds a little vinegar and some beer for flavor.

At any rate, I’ve always been quite fond of the regular no-knead recipe, as well.

Thank you both for letting me know. I can’t wait till tomorrow!

BTW - Alice, that is the same recipe. The guy that came up with it made the claim that it was so easy a 4-year-old could do it, so steamykitchen was literally taking up the challenge.

Pulykamell, can you post or link to your sourdough version? Trying sourdough is on my list of things to try, and if I could get sourdough without kneading, that would be great.

At any rate, check in tomorrow around 8 AM for the “How do I fix my no-knead bread - need answer fast” thread!

Bunch of video recipes here that should answer your questions. I basically do my no knead sourdough the same way as the regular no knead bread, except instead of a 1/4 tsp yeast, I put in 1/4 - 1/2 cup of sourdough starter that’s been brought up to room temp.

I have been experimenting with no knead bread for a month or so. I tried the 18 hour one. Not too bad but not a lot of flavor. So far I like this one (cut down the sugar to 2Tablespoons unless you like sweet bread) http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/no-knead-yeast-bread-512924

Having made the CI version a time or three, I’ll add this: use 2Tbs of vinegar instead of 1, and keep the total moisture content the same but with more beer/less water. Also, their writeup has some bunk about anything other than white vinegar adding “undesirable” flavors. Hogwash. I’ve made it with cider vinegar plenty of times with no problems (though perhaps red wine vinegar would be a bit much.)

I just wanted to say that this thread title sounds like one of Karloff’s lines out of Bride of Frankenstein.

I’ve been doing this or a variation ever since it was on Mark Bittman’s blog. However, I started doing a kinda combo between the Bittman and the Artisian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Essentially the 5 minutes a day you mix up a big batch with a tiny bit of yeast, let it rise overnight, then put it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You pull off a chunk whenever you want bread, let do the second rise for a few hours and bake. Advantage is you have fresh dough that’s ready to go sitting in the fridge.

I still like the Bittman way. I’ve used a bottle of beer for years as I think just about any bread will taste better if made with beer versus water.

18 hours? Why not just make regular batter bread (which also requires no kneading), which is done in a normal amount of time? I’m just not seeing the advantage to doing this, so perhaps I’m missing something.

Don’t know what batter bread is, but the purpose of no-knead is to develop gluten through the (quite) wet dough and long rest instead of through kneading.

Do you get a nice airy crumb like this with batter bread?

The other reason is that supposedly using minimal amounts of yeast and a long rise time makes for better flavor.

I understand that James Beard in Beard on Bread has a similar recipe. I need to get a copy of Beard on Bread.

Batter bread can come out a bit more dense than that, but I let it do a second rise, so mine is pretty light. Batter bread dough is pretty sticky also, and obviously it has much more yeast than your bread. This is one that I make all the time:

Herb-Parmesan Bread

4 ¼ cups sifted flour
2 pkg. active dry yeast (check date)
2 TBSP sugar
2 TSP salt
1½ TBSP dried oregano leaves
½ cup plus 1 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese (or combine with Romano or Asiago)
2 cups warm water (130 deg.F)
2 TBSP softened butter

In a mixing bowl, place three cups of the flour. Add salt, yeast, sugar, and oregano and mix on low speed or by hand until blended. Check the temperature of the water with a thermometer. This is critical for the yeast to properly activate. Add the water and softened butter to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add the ½ cup of Parmesan cheese. Continue beating for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth. Add the rest of the flour gradually, either beating in by hand or with mixer at low speed. The batter should not be too wet. If it is, add a bit more sifted flour, or you’ll end up with a dense product.

Cover the bowl and let rise in warm place for about 45 minutes until double in bulk. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Beat the dough down for about 30 seconds, then transfer to a well-greased 2-quart casserole dish. Cover and let rise for a short period, perhaps 15 minutes. This allows the batter to rise a bit, but not double. If it rises too much, it will be full of air holes.

Sprinkle the remaining TBSP of cheese over the top of the bread and bake for about 45 minutes or until nicely browned. Turn out immediately onto a wire rack. It helps to run a table knife around the dish to break the loaf loose before attempting to turn it out onto the rack. Otherwise, part of it may remain in the dish.

Thanks for the recipe, Chefguy - I like a really yeasty flavour in my bread, which I do miss in no-knead. I’ll try it out!

FWIW - the no knead bread in the OP turned out nicely!

But I’m looking forward to working my way through the other ideas that have been posted as well. And Chefguy, thanks for the recipe for the batter bread!

Be extremely careful: this is the most addictive bread ever. Makes great toast, also.

Tried the CI beer bread last night and the flavor was good, but it didn’t rise nearly enough. (I know it wasn’t the yeast because it was fine just last week.) Should I have let the beer go flat, or something?

Chefguy, that bread sounds awesome. I’m going to make it next.

Made it. Love it. Thank you!

I have a hard time making no-knead bread in the winter - the house is too chilly for it to rise properly, methinks. In the summertime I have far more success, so perhaps your ambient temperature made a difference?

To my knowlege, using flat vs. bubbly beer doesn’t make a difference, but then again, baking science is not my forte in the least. But it hasn’t made a difference IMpersonalE.

I always turn the oven on med-low and set the dough on top of the stove near the back, covered with a towel.