No longer fighting Ignorance, now encouraging it.

I’m glad you cleared that up. I thought everybody was talking about T. J. Hooker.

DrDeth, I do not believe that you sincerely thought that anyone who was using William Shatner’s name was truly confused and that you were upholding the ideals of fighting ignorance.

You have been asked to not correct posters or to play dumb when individuals refer to an actor or new character by a previous character’s name. A mod note was insufficient last time to impress upon you how irritating that behavior is, so I’m trying a warning this time.

I am not inclined to let this thread remain open very long if it looks like it’s going off the rails. If you have a specific question about your warning, I’ll do my best to answer it, but I stand by the warning and won’t really engage in too much back-and-forth argument that doesn’t seem productive.

Of course I didnt think he was truly confused.

Why is the truth so “annoying”?

And of course you “stand by the warning” since you got applauded for it. :rolleyes:

I bet IvoryTowerDenizen isn’t even her real name! throws hands in air

“Encore! Encore!!”

:smiley:

I owe you a cocktail, Molotok!

I learned the hard way some years ago that pedantism is deeply annoying. No one cares that you are technically correct if your point is made in such a way.

Sourced from some pristine body of water and stirred with a paddle, s’il vous plait.

Then you were trolling.

If you can’t figure out why doing this is so annoying, we probably can’t help you.

She got applauded for it because it was correct, and your objection is foolish.

Do you wish it set on fire? :wink:

If being a pedant was worth a warning here, many posters would have hundreds of such warnings. Being Pedantic is the SDMB way. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just because I didnt think the OP was confused it doesn’t mean no one else could be confused. We have had posters here genuinely confused by what others thought were "obvious’ jokes or “whooshes”.

What does it hurt to clarify?

Gasoline served with a side of rag? That would be delightful!

You were not warned for simply being pedantic.

You were warned because you were being pedantic in a way that was deliberately annoying, insincere, and that you were repeating a behavior that you were previously told to stop doing.

Name one Doper who is unaware of Star Trek. That’s as inconceivable as not recognizing a dead parrot.

This may be a part of the OP’s long standing crusade against being wooshed? It seems to be the same sort of humor being objected to here as in many previous threads.

You were not warned for simply clarifying.

You were warned because you were clarifying in a way that was deliberately annoying, insincere, and that you were repeating a behavior that you were previously told to stop doing.

Not the same "*"DrDeth drop correcting people for using a past character’s name to refer to a role played by the same actor. "

And I wasnt being deliberately annoying. Pedantic, perhaps, a failed attempt at humor, perhaps, but no attempt at being annoying. But you knew that. You know full well why this “warning” was given.

DEAD?!!! I thought he was just resting.

I have no idea what secret reason you think I have for giving the warning.

You know full well that people find this behavior annoying. I also know you are more than capable of extrapolating from one similar (if not exact) situation to another. However, apparently you enjoy yanking people’s chains and then playing wide-eyed innocent when you think you’ve found some bit of minutia to justify your behavior or play dumb as if you don’t understand what the issue is. I don’t enjoy tis game and would like it to stop.