No man? (Greek to English question)

Utopia” was a word concocted to mean “no place” as described by Merriam Webster (and, no doubt, any other place which displays etymology). What would I call a “No Man”?

Uanthropa?

It’s been a while since I took Greek, but I think that the word for “nobody” is “ouden”. I don’t know if that’s an exact translation of the concept you’re looking for, but it’s as close as I’ll come. I’m gonna ask a friend of mine, though, and if she comes back with something better, I’ll post that.

Make that “oudeis”.

Odysseus.

I’m curious as to why you want to know the mythical term for “no man?”

I don’t have a clue about Ancient Greek words for “man” but they probably were many.

It might help to know what your are driving at, in order to know which word for man you might want.

samclem, consider the Nietzschean superman, or the Randian “John Galt.” The perfect man (by whatever context) that, of course, cannot exist.

Duh, forgot to say to ultrafilter: how the heck would I pronounce that?

If you’re going for the modern Greek pronunciation, it’d be something like “oothace”, where you use the “th” sound from “this” and not “thing”. In English, you might pronounce it “youdace”, just judging from the pronunciation of “utopia”.

In the Odyssey, Odysseus told Polyphemus he was [symbol]OutiV[/symbol] Outis, ‘nobody’.