No, Mom and Dad, I am NOT going to Guelph with you to visit my sister and her family

I’d say that if you at some point feel the need for further therapy you need to find a better therapist.

I’m another one of those who’s therapist said… “You’ve made great progress, and unless you really feel the need to continue I don’t see any reason for us to make another appointment.”

So I suppose I could have said “but I have this other issue we haven’t talked about” and continued it… but then again I didnt’ expect my therapist to say “Sorry, you’re cured, you can’t come back here anymore”

Calvin: “You know how old people write to advice columnists, complaining that their kids never call, write, or visit? Those letters really crack me up.”

It works both ways. There are plenty of parents who spent their last years in a rest home, or last days in a hospital, regretting their selfishness, rages, or coldness alienated their children.

Regretting that they alienated their children.

Anyway, if Scott was reluctant to go on this journey because he wanted to stay in Ottawa and party down, that would be uncool. But if, as seems to be the case, he thinks the journey would cause a setback in his relations with his parents, he’s absolutely right to refuse. There used to be a saying: “Anything to keep peace in the family.” I think Scott has interpreted it correctly.

You couldn’t have less english reading comprehension if you were an illiterate Russian immigrant.

Duh, that was kind of my point. People were jumping on me about how horrible and abusive parents their parents were and that stopped communicating with them. Scott gave no indication that his relationship with his parents wasn’t over so I didn’t find their descriptions of their parental relationships to be comparable. If I wanted to say Scott was cutting off contact with is parents I would have said that’s what he was doing.

Welcome to the world of being an adult. Sometimes you do things that you don’t enjoy so much. Keep in mind I never told Scott that he must go or that he was a bad person for not going on the road trip.

Marc