No more shopping in your pyjamas - what do you think?

Pyjamas are pants.

Yeah but I doubt you wear those items to bed so you are good to go.

Crackheads. Crackheads who are out on the corner trying to score in normal outside wearing clothes. If the crackheads are wearing pajamas then they are probably passed out in bed so they wouldn’t be shopping anyways.

There are some notable differences in both appearance and function. If they were indistinguishable, the policy would be meaningless because one could not tell the difference and so it would not be possible to discriminate against pajama-wearers.

Being able to tell the difference and being able to define it are two different things.

I’ve said this before, but never quite so literally; I do not need the imagery!

Stranger

I recently told a shirtless (male) customer to leave my place of business. He argued that there was no signage warning that he had to have a shirt. I explained (slowly and in monosyllabic language) that I had never thought there was a need.

I never go out in PJs, so Tesco’s decision doesn’t affect me. On the other hand, it would improve my shopping experience. If Tesco ever opens a location near me, I will shop there!

I see nothing wrong with shopping in your pajamas.

I used to work in a convenience without a No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service policy (well we did require shoes). Corporate did not want us to deny service to topless men (I never got a clear response regarding topless women). We also adjacent to a college campus. Sadly the shirtless college-aged guys tended either pull a t-shirt out of their pockets as they approached the door (or just stay outside while his friend goes in) and it was the fat middle-aged guys that never bothered to cover up. :smack: Rush Week was another story entirely.

Neither does the societal demand that we cover ourselves at all. As someone mentioned upthread, it’s like the difference between a swimsuit and underwear. You don’t wear your underwear to the pool.

Seriously, how hard is it to just put some pants on? Every time I see someone in pajama bottoms, you know I’m checking them for cheeto dust. I also wonder how someone to lazy to use a button or a zipper managed to get themselves to the supermarket anyway.

Nor is there anything “wrong” with shopping in your speedo or your underthings…as long as everything is appropriately covered, it’s all good, right?

The banning of pajamas or of swimwear, or of partial nudity is more a matter of taste than something that has an objective reason behind it. Sure, pajama-wearing hurts no one, but it does give a certain impression or look that some businesses do not want for their establishment.

It’s that simple really, and it is the whole reason some clothing is “acceptable” and some is not. Appearance counts whether we (general) want it to or think it should or not.
ETA: I seem to have mostly repeated the response above, so sorry. The preview button failed me again. :wink:

I agree. I see nothing wrong with shopping in speedos or underwear.

They drink for free, right? Well that’s the policy of The Sunset Beach Bar in St Martin. Surprisingly, relatively few women take them up on the offer.

Exactly! That’s why we need rules on what is and isn’t allowed. I imagine that many people would have no problem with shopping in their speedo, but most of us don’t want to see that…so businesses cater to the majority’s sensibilities (or their own) and ask that their clientele to dress appropriately.

If you’re not kidding, congratulations… you’re that kid who spoils it for everyone.

What exactly is “it” and how exactly have I spoiled “it” for everyone?

The world needs an overabundance of rules because some people are too socially retarded to be left to their own devices.

No, it doesn’t.

Just because I disagree with the reasoning for many rules and customs and desire a great degree of personal freedom for myself and all other people does not make me “socially retarded”.

ME!

Although I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve done it in my pajamas.

I did full-on grocery shopping for the week in the wee hours of the morning when I was a college student, and I figured out how to put real clothes on to do it.

As for shopping while wearing Speedos? Someone’s ruining someone else’s appetite if they do that. Speedos belong solely on superhuman athletes with low-single-digits body fat percentages, in a pool, and not out in public. They’re not meant for mere humans.

I can see wearing pajamas if it’s 3 a.m. and it’s an emergency run for diapers/formula/Tampax/whatever else you need right this minute. I can’t see wearing pajamas to the store at any other time, for any other reason.

I mean, if you can’t be arsed to put on a pair of sweats or jeans or whatever, then that’s your problem.