No political/religious jabs in MPSIMS

This is not a new rule but rather codifies the existing informal guidelines for posting in MPSIMS.

MPSIMS threads are often started to call attention to current events, including breaking news stories. Many posters value these threads because they offer new information and multiple cites about the event in one place. Often the information is rapidly changing and these threads can move fast. One of the advantages of the SDMB is that with many posters from around the world we often have a poster local to the situation or even involved who can give unique insights.

Unfortunately, since these types of threads commonly involve hot-button issues, they often fall prey to hijacks and rants about political, religious or other emotionally charged subjects. MPSIMS is not the place for such comments, which detract from the usefulness of breaking-news threads. If you wish to use a current event as a springboard for a comment or argument about a hot-button issue, please post it in Great Debates or the Pit. You may post a link to your GD or Pit post in MPSIMS, but do not use that as an excuse to rehash your argument.

To be clear, the rule against political/religious jabs and diatribes applies to ALL threads in MPSIMS, not just those about breaking news. Current events threads are cited because they are where hijacks and rants are especially annoying. All posters are reminded to be considerate of other users and continue to observe this rule. Any violation will be strictly moderated.

Are threads with a political spin from the outset allowable in MPSIMS?

For example, the thread Positive Gun News of the Day is full of political commentary. Some of it is explicit–I cop to that, not realizing there was anything wrong with it.

But the bulk of posts in the thread are stories about gun violence. Due to their placement under the title “Positive Gun News of the Day,” there’s a clear political spin on these stories. Would this thread be better placed in GD? Or is it fine where it is, and there’s just to be no discussion of whether the stories there really constitute positive news? Or does it need a different title, but otherwise a collection of stories of gun violence against alleged criminals is fine?

The rule isn’t meant to prevent people from expressing opinions in MPSIMS, but rather from hijacking threads with rants. There may be some gray area, but in general I’d say it’s easy to distinguish a rant from a mere comment.

Is this not better posted as a sticky in MPSIMS?

Well, that clears everything up.

Would you mind explaining, in terms of how the rules are going to work, the distinction between:

• hijacks

• rants

• comments

• argument

• jabs

• diatribes

Because, despite what you’ve said in your second post, it sounds a lot like you are, in fact, intent on curtailing the expression of opinions in MPSIMS. Or, at the very least, the expression of any contrary opinions or disagreements. If these rules are implemented, it strikes me that they will turn each MPSIMS thread into a sort of series of mini-blogs, where people post their own observations and opinions, but cannot take issue with the observations and opinions of other posters.

And given the problems some moderators seem to have in consistently moderating very clear and straightforward rules, i’m a little dubious about whether something this nebulous can be handled with any reliability.

I’d also like to suggest that MrDibble is on point, regarding where this new and crystal-clear rule should be posted.

At the edges, I agree. And I do think this is a good rule in general–as long as it’s enforced mostly at the edges. But I’d encourage mods to enforce it through the use of mod notes, not warnings, except in truly outrageous circumstances.

That is how it’s handled now. A note or two or three, then warnings. After some notes, I’d view those warnings as being well-earned.

Agreed. My concern would be if a moderator decided that, based on this note (or even a possible sticky in MPSIMS), political comments in MSIMS warranted harsher treatment going forward.

It’s all about time and place. There is some small subset of posters who have the “Oh my god someone is wrong on the Internet” attitude. They feel the need to bring in their opinion on the bigger issues into every thread at all related to their pet subject. Sometimes it’s just their emotional response to a sensitive subject. We encourage all such discussion which is why GD and The Pit exists. However there should be a place where posters can go to discuss the facts of a breaking news story without there being a gun control debate or rants about Trump’s immigration ideas. This clarification just reminds everyone of the rules and hopefully will help keep things on track without a mod having to come into every breaking news thread and remind people of the rules which is what is happening now.

I’m not sure why you say you are dubious it can be handled reliably. This doesn’t change how we are currently handling things. The only difference is that the reminder of the rules will be placed at the top of MPSIMS instead of in every thread of this type by whichever mod gets there first. The problem is with an important breaking news story they often move very quickly and by the time a mod can wade in the thread has already devolved into a total mess. This is a disservice to those who want to discuss the known facts of an event as they come in and be able to check out the sources people find as well as possible eyewitness information. It really shouldn’t be that difficult to keep the debates to GD.

Can I “upvote” this? Delete Ed’s attempts at explaining the situation and post the above, without the first sentence of each paragraph as the new rule. Your version is clear, explains the situation and concisely explains what’s going on, including why the rule has been modified/clarified.

Given what you wrote–especially the part about “a disservice to those who want to discuss the known facts of an event as they come in” and the “However there should be a place where posters can go” parts which explain what you’re looking for in a MPSIMS thread, which is normally lacking when new rules “clarifications” happen.

I vote you be new guy in charge of writing rules. Yeah, let the other mods come to an agreement, but you write it. This way we won’t get stuff like the first two attempts to explain the rules that just make things murkier.

Seems clear enough to me. Don’t hijack MPSIMS threads with GD bullshit. And don’t do those shitty posts about how horrible someone else’s politics/religion/etc are. I see nothing about mere opinions, and nothing that forbids threads that already have a political aspect to them, and Ed has clarified that this doesn’t count.

We were told explicitly that this is not a change in the rules. So what he said has to align with how MPSIMS is already modded.

I don’t disagree that Loach’s explanation is better, but I don’t think it actually contains a description of the actual rule.

And, note, my previous comment was written before I saw yours. I wasn’t arguing with you.

I think that all of this is perfectly reasonable.

I guess my only query here is that it seems to leave a little bit ambiguous the question of whether this rule is really a rule about fast-moving, breaking news stories in MPSIMS, or about MPSIMS as a whole.

In the OP, Ed Zotti spent a couple of long paragraphs talking about “current events,” “breaking news stories,” and “rapidly changing” threads. Then, however, he said that the rule applied to all threads in MPSIMS. Now, your own post once again focuses only on “breaking news stories” and threads that deal with “the known facts of an event as they come in.”

It seems to me that this is exactly the type of thread that the new rule should apply to. The last paragraph of the OP seems excessively draconian and pointless. And that was my original concern. Without the last paragraph, i probably wouldn’t have taken issue with the OP either.

You must be one of those people that read the rules of each forum everyday. Most people are not. This announcement is better here initially so that people actually see it and then after a time move it on or not as Ed said this is not a new rule but just a reminder.

You must be one of those people who come to ATMB every day. Most people are not. The announcement is better at the top of the actual forum where it will take effect, so that the people actually posting in that forum might have a better chance of seeing it.

Does that mean you agree? :stuck_out_tongue:

I disagree. I think most people do make a quick visit here everyday. There are only a handful of active threads, its fun to watch the whining/drama and to see if anyone has been banned.

But we can still rant about very large Walmartians in yoga pants and fish net tops, right?
I don’t think that’s religious or political.

Of course I do. To see announcements like this. I’m not under the illusion that I need to read the 5+ stickies of every forum everyday to see if there has been a change. If something important changes it’ll be here.

I screwed this up. Scratch the above and substitute the following:

No political/religious jabs in breaking news threads in MPSIMS

This is not a new rule but rather codifies the existing informal guidelines.

MPSIMS threads are often started to call attention to breaking news stories. Many posters value these threads because they offer new information and multiple cites about the event in one place. Often the information is rapidly changing and these threads can move fast. One of the advantages of the SDMB is that with many posters from around the world we often have a poster local to the situation or even involved who can give unique insights.

Unfortunately, since these types of threads commonly involve hot-button issues, they often fall prey to hijacks and rants about political, religious or other emotionally charged subjects. MPSIMS is not the place for such comments, which detract from the usefulness of breaking-news threads. If you wish to use a current event as a springboard for a commentary about a hot-button issue, please post it in Great Debates or the Pit. You may post a link to your GD or Pit post in MPSIMS, but do not use that as an excuse to rehash your argument.

All posters are reminded to be considerate of other users and continue to observe this rule. Any violation will be strictly moderated.

We thought about suggesting that “breaking news” or similar be included in the thread title, but that seemed overly complicated. That said, we don’t object to anyone using such an expression.

Likewise, it seemed unnecessary to define when a breaking news story had devolved into a mere current event. it’s generally understood that MPSIMS isn’t the place for extended political or religious commentary, which belongs in Great Debates or the Pit.

Further comments invited. The above will be posted as a sticky in MPSIMS once the wording is finalized.