Non-Alcoholic Shots

We did “shots” of this along with some weird drinking game thing at a baby shower a while back. I think it was more of a “let’s consume a bunch of forbidden calories while all the girls are together” thing than it was a “let’s fake getting trashed” thing.

I didn’t think it was as much fun as everyone was making it out to be. However, I hate baby showers, so I was kind of predisposed to not have fun!

There might be a purpose for non-alcoholic shots.

Raw egg yolk with a dash of wostershire sauce and tabasco.

Raw tuna sashimi with minced daikon, ginger and a little wasabi

Raw oyster with or without dressing

At my shop we do what we call fire and ice shots. We take a flavored syrup, normally used for a latte, and ice it down in a shaker then pour it in the bottom of a shot glass. Then pull a straight 1 oz shot of espresso on top of it. The customer imediately does it as a shot at the counter.

I don’t usually register just to reply to message boards, but this thread really ticked me off. Listen up all you haters:

The POINT of DOING SHOTS, is because it’s freaking great way to have FUN and be extra SOCIAL and SEXY! Aside from shotguns and keg stands, I can’t think of a more socially engaging, exciting, and plain fun way to take my alcohol at a party than shooting a flaming dr. pepper or doing a body shot with a few friends surrounded by even more cheering onlookers, can you?

Also, anyone who takes shots regularly, especially whiskey or tequila, knows that there’s no such thing as an alcoholic beverage you can’t taste or feel the after burn from. If it’s in your mouth, you taste it. Period.

I prefer shots because I think they’re sexy, I like my alcohol hard (beer tastes like piss, fyi, and yes, I speak from experience), I can vary what I’m drinking without wasting alcohol or slamming a full cup of rum and coke, and I can have a lot of fun making and shooting them. I also love tequila and shooting the liquor straight is much more pleasing to my palette than covering up the flavor with lime juice and ice.

Now, if anyone has any real input to give on non-alcoholic shots, I’m all ears. I work at a “juice bar” and I know my clients would love to “do shots” with me, so I’m trying to come up with a list to promote the idea to management.

I have been searching for nonalcoholic shot recipes for my niece’s new years eve party. I was very underwhelmed by what I found out there on the internet. There were some good ideas on here so I have put a few recipes together.

All citrus juices I squeeze fresh (it makes a big difference)
Pineapple juice that I use is trader joes not from concentrate in small cans.

Disclaimer: I haven’t tested any of these, but they should be interesting enough. I think the key will be to give the shot a good citrus kick (lime or lemon or grapfruit) but also get some varying flavors in there for interest and to balance the citrus. Afterall the goal for me is to create a delicious shot that will still be at least a slight challenge for teenage girls to stomach.

1/2 oz lime juice
1 oz pomegranate juice
Dash or 2 of cholula hot sauce

1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 Pineapple juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz maple syrup

1/2 oz lemon juice
1 oz orange juice juice
2 dashes angostura bitters

At Christmas we usually have B-52’s together, but then my little cousin decided she wanted to join in because she was almost a grown up now(she’s 8). So we made her a layered drink as follows:
Pour a layer of maraschino cherry syrup.
Add a layer of egg nog by gently pouring over a spoon(if you’ve made a B-52 before you should have no problem with this)
Add a third layer of chocolate milk(white milk works as well, you just can’t see the layers as easy)
We call it a B-I-N-G-O. The kids get to toast with us and feel like they’re adults, and it tastes delicious. Both my aunt and my mother have switched to drinking these instead of having an alcoholic shot.

Take one zombie head and put it in a press. Filter out the pulp, and serve chilled.