You’re welcome. :wink:

Brigade.

No, don’t thank me. I’m the third person to make this suggestion :wink:

Every sperm is sacred,
every sperm is missed.
If a sperm is wasted,
God gets very pissed"

such an infectious entertainment genre

Loved the end of Slumdog Millionaire, but that has been my only exposure.

Oh, boy do I loves me some Bollywood. Back in Delaware the local access channel turned into ‘Asian Vision Television’ on Sunday afternoons.

My all-time favourite is the recent ‘Aladdin’. Because it is completely batshit crazy and wonderful.

I’m still trying to figure out what this one film was that was about Indian (or Pakastani) independence. The first half was in black and white, pre-independence and ended with a rainstorm, while the second half was after independence as was in full colour. I don’t believe it was a musical, but it’s been over a decade.

I am a long time lover of Indian movies and long ago gave myself over to their cultural oddities.

I remember years ago listening to the cricket commentary when Australia toured India. Aussie commentator David Hookes was talking about his visit to a cinema the previous night. He had seen Titanic and was raving about what great fun it was because the Indian audience didn’t sit passively but treated the movie like a stage melodrama - booing, cheering and carrying on.

The Indian commentator Harsha Bhogle said the experience would have been better had Titanic been made by an Indian director. In that case the movie would have ended with the vessel rising from the bottom of the ocean and all the formerly dead passengers engaging in a song and dance routine. Genius.

That reminds me of that list that was going around a few years ago, about, “Everything I Know I Learned From Movies” - the item that said:

“If you decide to dance in the streets, everybody you meet will know the steps.”

I sort of look forward to them.

Yeah… now I’m thinking about how The Titanic movie would have played out…

I find the storylines in them pretty repetitious: the two meet, but cannot be together because of class/religion/status/family issues, but somehow get together; or, the two meet and fall in love, but one is betrothed to the other’s sibling; years later after someone dies they get together; etc. So, I prefer the more straightforward “non-Bollywood” Indian movies (Monsoon Wedding, for example).

But Mrs. Raza’s grandfather was a movie star back-in-the-day, so I get exposed to my share of the older movies. Shame they didn’t have better sound recording at the time; I can only take a few minutes of the female vocals.

:smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

If it makes you feel any better, I went with “band-wagon” instead.
:smiley:

I love musicals but I’m usually a fan of the more dramatic ones such as Les Miserables and Parade. I’m not big into shows like Hairspray and Legally Blonde.

That being said, I love Bollywood dance numbers! To me they are stunning, colorful celebrations. They always make me wish I could join in on the fun.

I love musicals but I’m usually a fan of the more dramatic ones such as Les Miserables and Parade. I’m not big into shows like Hairspray and Legally Blonde.

That being said, I love Bollywood dance numbers! To me they are stunning, colorful celebrations. They always make me wish I could join in on the fun.

Battalion! Bevy! Board! Brood! Brace! http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/collnoun.htm

Pops head out from behind a bush with bright smile and jazz hands. . .*

*I’m afraid you’ll have to hire a body double for the wet t-shirt scenes though.

I’ve never actually seen a whole move, but I like the actual musical scenes. It remains to be seen how much I’d like them in a movie. I do know that I’m not a big fan of long movies, though.

No a fan

I think they’re great fun. Love the old Hollywood over-the-top musicals–but Busby Berkeley was mostly limited to black & white!

(Hmm… I think that Netflix Streaming has some Bollywood choices. I’ll put them in the queue–after the Korean Historical-Epic Soap-Opera…)