Non-Traditional Versions of Christmas Carols

Speaking of Spike Jones, check out this version of Rudolph from the same disc.

Ugh, sorry about the repetition in the description. :smack: I will also add that this isn’t that nontraditional of a rendition, aside from it being a medley and one of the singers being David Bowie - the song is sung in a very straightforward fashion, and really the “nontraditional” part is just the pairing of those two vocalists.

R&B, but not full of embellishments and slides is Aaron Neville’s album, Soulful Christmas. Of course, some people don’t like Aaron’s voice, so there’s that. But the album’s really great.

I also second The Roches. That’s a great album.

“Santa Lost a Ho” by the Christmas Jug Band is my all time favorite. I remember the first time I heard it, on a snowy Christmas Eve I almost had to pull off the road laughing. If someone mentioned it upthread, I apologize.

I like Relient K’s driving punk version of Angels We Have Heard on High, 12 Days of Christmas and Handel’s Messiah.

Jimi Hendrix and Joan Jett both did fantastic versions of The Little Drummer Boy.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band do a very up-tempo, banjo-y version of “We Three Kings” that would fit the bill.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I listened to all the ones I could find, and I enjoyed so many of them that I’ve had to create a two CD set.

In the spirit of the thread, I wanted to share a couple of songs I found and enjoyed, in hopes you all might enjoy them, too.

Christmas Time; Bryan Adams (This is probably a nostalgia thing for me. I remember getting this 45 for Christmas, along with the 45 of Corey Hart’s Rudolph. They were printed on red or green translucent vinyl, and I thought they were the most awesome albums ever.)

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer; Jack Johnson

Joy to the World; The Klezmonauts (Because everyone should have Klezmer Christmas music in their collection.)

Thanks again!

I love that song. Also, “Walkin’ 'Round in Women’s Underwear.”

Since 1999, Carols for a Cure has put some very non-traditional spins on traditional holiday songs. The 2001 CD has the cast of 42nd St tap dancing and belting out “Silent Night.” All of them are excellent, and it’s all for a good cause.

Oh, wow! Musicals are very, very popular in my family, and especially with my son. I am definitely getting a couple of stocking stuffers from that site. Thank you a million times.

Is the 2001 CD the best of them, or are they all good?

They are all great! I remember the 2001 CD because it was recorded September 9 & 10, 2001 at St. John’s Lutheran Church near the World Trade Center. The front cover was supposed to be two tall towers with Xmas lights on them. It had to be redesigned.

If you buy and listen to one, they will become a holiday tradition.

So what’s the final list?

If you can figure out where to find it, I strongly recommend Tom Waits’ version of Silent Night. Best version ever, IMO.

How about Hooray for Santa Claus from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians? You should be able to find an MP3 via Google.

Caroling with The Roches

I made myself a fun playlist on last.fm a couple of weeks ago. It’s got a lot of the stuff already mentioned in this thread and a few others.

I’m really digging the Metallica and Green Day tributes by Santa Claws and the Naughty But Nice Orchestra.

The only bummer was I wanted it to actually be playable, so I had to limit it to what was available for streaming on last.fm (and 200 songs.)

Some other faves -

Christmas - Blues Traveler

Winter Wonderland - Cocteau Twins

Donna and Blitzen - Badly Drawn Boy

God Rest Ye Jerry Mentleman - Bad Religion

Silent Night - Bad Religion

Joy to the World - Bad Religion

Maybe This Christmas-Ron Sexsmith

Welcome Christmas - Love Spirals Downwards

Better Days - Goo Goo Dolls

Spotlight on Christmas - Rufus Wainwright

O Come, O Come Emmanuel - Belle & Sebastian