[QUOTE=Spoons]
From Canada, nationally:
Thanksgiving. Usually the same day as the US Columbus Day (second Monday in October), but otherwise, pretty much like US Thanksgiving: turkey with all the trimmings, family getting together, and so on.
Victoria Day. A Monday close to the 24th of May, Queen Victoria’s Birthday. Why celebrate her birthday? Because it was during her reign, and with her permission, that Canada became its own country in 1867. Traditionally regarded as the start of summer, celebrated with fireworks, and a day off. (And, if the TV commercials for beer are to be believed, plenty of beer. This is true enough, but I don’t know if you want to share that part with your class.)
Canada Day, July 1. Canada’s birthday. More fireworks; another day off. Much like the Fourth of July really.
Most provinces also have:
August Long Weekend. This is the generic name; it goes by “Civic Holiday” in Ontario, and “Heritage Day” in Alberta, but everybody knows what August Long Weekend means: the first Monday in August off, creating a long weekend. No real reason for it; it’s just a nice long summer weekend.
And the province of Alberta also has:
Family Day. A Monday in February. This creates a long weekend that breaks up the winter. I’m not sure why it was created, but I’m glad it was. When I lived in Ontario, there were no holidays at all between New Years and Easter. Now that I live in Alberta, Family Day breaks up that stretch.
[/QUOTE]
In addition to what Spoons indicated:
Though not a “holiday” Remembrance Day on November 11 commemorates the sacrifice of veterans. Commemorative events occur at cenotaphs across the country at 11 a.m., and the one from Ottawa is broadcast live nationally. The timing of course is tied to the time of the armistice that ended WWI. In some provinces, but not all, it is an observed day with most businesses closing (sometimes excepting retail). In others, such as Ontario, as near as I can tell, most businesses remain open.
Also, **Boxing Day **, on December 26, is another legacy of our days as part of the Empire. It seems to have now become Boxing Day in the sense of people carrying boxes and bags home from the mall.
Oh, and in Saskatchewan the August long weekend is Saskatchewan Day. Or, as Spoons said aka “the August long weekend”.