Nonsensical parking lot experience

I have to agree with this. Jamie, I’m concerned if you keep confronting people like this, one of these days you’re going to get hurt. It’s one thing to make a civil remark informing someone of their wrongdoing, or to call security, but quite another entirely to physically block someone’s vehicle or follow them into a store. There are other things you can do to address this issue, even on the legislative level (by fighting for stronger enforcement) that would not put you in such a potentially dangerous situation. And to be honest, I think you could do more good on a broader scale instead of trying to change the world one selfish jerk at a time.

Thread title. Nonsensical parking lot experience.

Post #54. Nonsensical parking lot experience.

Problem?

I doubt that very much. The title said “experience”, not “experiences” and nothing in the OP indicated that the thread was about anything other than what he related. Nowhere did he say anything close to “Tell me about your nonsensical parking lot experiences.”

edited to add: If the OP wishes to correct me as to the intent of this thread, he is welcome to do so.

Jarjar! Back to the land speeder! Now!

I’m going to be driving through Flint in a couple of days. I think it might be quite satisfying to illegally park in a handicap spot while I’m in town. And who knows, I might end up meeting a fellow Doper while I’m at it (I assume that, like Batman, the OP has some sort of signal to alert him to this sort of malfeasance.)

Tru dat, but the reason why it’s acceptable is to minimize the distance and difficulty involved in the mobility-impaired person (MIP)'s passage from car to store, regardless of whether the MIP is the driver or a passenger in the vehicle in question.

It’s still legal for the MIP to use the permit to park in a handicapped spot, even if the healthy person is doing the walking while the MIP stays in the car. But most of us would still regard it as an abuse of the privilege.

For instance, my MIL has such a permit. Would it be OK (morally, that is; I know it would be legal) for my able-bodied self to park in handicapped spots while I run my errands, if I just take my MIL along in the car, even if she simply stays in the passenger seat doing crossword puzzles while I do my shopping, never setting foot out of the car? It would make the errand-running a lot easier, but I’d have a much harder time looking myself in the mirror afterwards.

ETA: Knowing my MIL, she’d chew me out for even thinking of the idea. :slight_smile:

There is the factor of not leaving a frail, elderly person alone in the car in the middle of a parking lot. Better near the door where there is more foot traffic.

Reminds me of a news report I saw once in which the local Action News! team followed around a couple of old guys who took it on themselves to police the local handicapped spots, authorized by the police to hand out tickets. There was much sanctimonious criticism of the selfish SOBs who parked in spaces without a permit.

Then one of the guys was writing a ticket for a car without a permit, going on and on to the camera about how terrible the person was, when his partner walked up and said that was his car. He just didn’t have his permit displayed.

The first guy tore up the ticket, they both had a good laugh about it, and moved on. They looked so self-righteous and hypocritical.

(But I suppose the OP would have gone ahead and given his partner the ticket.)

+1 RTFirefly

This is what I’m on about. I know I’m often unclear.
Also, I know what jamiemcgarry usually does is probably not the best way, but IMHO the principle is sound.

I’m totally onboard with jamie asking them if they have a placard, but after that, it was none of his business whether it’s displayed or not. I, too, hope he doesn’t get himself shot or run over one of these days.

I don’t see him making EVERONE’s life hell, just idiots who park in handicap spaces. (And evidently people who don’t properly display their placards to his satisfaction.) Not that large a group of people.

Honestly, if he didn’t come off as so confrontational, I think everyone would be all for him confronting people about this. Anyone who’s had to deal with finding an accessible parking spot when they’re taken up by non-handicapped people would understand. I’ve had very bad parking experiences trying to take my handicapped aunt out for dinner. I can’t imagine how pissed off I’d be if I had to see and deal with it on an everyday basis.

FWIW, I assumed that the young woman in the OP was the one who needed the tag - when jamie confronted her, she lifted up her pant and pointed to her leg. Personally I assumed she was showing him her artificial limb or something.

I don’t think you’re going to find a lot of people cheering on able-bodied people using the handicapped spaces. We get why he’s bothered by it, and would be able to sympathize and happily condone his confrontations of the offenders if he didn’t have to go all Parking Lot Warrior on everyone all the time. Even when the person has proven to him that she’s legally entitled to park there, he still had a bug betwixt his ass cheeks because he got all hung up on some technicality of how it was displayed.

Get a life, jamie.

Spending 2 minutes challenging someone who appeared to be illegally using a handicapped spot isn’t indicative of a lack of a life. I get your point, but I feel you’re overstating his vendetta against those who illegally park in handicapped spots. It’s benign, it’s not like he’s putting a gun at their head and telling them to move or die.

jamie, the better way is to get on your cell phone and call in their license number. Make it the cops problem.

LOL. Call the cops because the placard wasn’t displayed?

Ha ha ha. “911 – this is an emergency! Someone’s handicapped placard is in the glove box, instead of being made clearly visible from the front window!”

Okay, now that I’ve stopped laughing, what is indicative of not having a life is still badgering her after she showed that she has a permit, and his repeated insistence on haranguing people in parking lots across Michigan. Blocking people at the gym and heckling people all the time is strongly indicative of needing to get a grip and some fresh air.

Just the one or the whole chain?

I don’t see the need to doubt someone’s truthfulness when they’ve just politely explained why they provided an anecdote that seemed irrelevant to a thread. What a very odd thing to think someone would lie about.

On-topic, I have little to no sympathy for Crazy-Pants Ankle Bracelet Lady and her illegal parking situation, but I’ll agree that Jamie should have just called the cops and left it at that. Edit: Not 911. :stuck_out_tongue: This is what the non-emergency number is for, right?

Except that this isn’t the first time. He’s been kicked out of one gym already, and made it into the news as a result. If this was a substance abuse or psychological issue, I think it would definitely be in the realm of “adversely affecting your life and relationships with other people”, which would indicate a problem that needs intervention.

Yup. Except he’s made it clear by his actions that he won’t accept this course of action. That’s a problem.

At one time (and they still might) the City of Capitola had wheelchair-bound parking officers in the Capitola Village area to handle parking enforcement.

Maybe jamie should approach the local police with that idea.

Based on the tone of the article, I’m going to guess jamie made it into the news because he himself contacted the media, in order to bring attention to the larger issue at hand. That’s what activists do, and if there’s one thing I’m sure of, it’s that he’s got the soul of an activist. Now, whether this is the most effective and safe means of activism is another matter entirely, but I don’t think the news coverage was ‘‘omg look what this crazy guy did’’ so much as, ‘‘I was treated badly by this health club and want to speak out about it.’’ The nicely posed photograph of him in the article is a good indicator that he was not considered the bad guy by the journalists.

I have a serious question, and maybe this has been answered in one of Jamie’s previous threads but…

Anyone know if it is actually hard to find a handicapped parking spot? I mean, I realize parking there when you don’t have a permit is illegal and I wouldn’t do it in a million years. But is it really a problem that really makes it hard for handicapped people to get a place to park a lot of times, or is it more just a “Man, those people are assholes and also breaking the law” type of deal?