Nordic Jesus

That’s the Jesus I grew up with!

I’ve never seen a picture of Jesus that didn’t look like yours in the OP.

Do you have a better picture of what he/apostles looked like to post? Not religious myself. But curious.

The Virgin Mary is equally anglicized. I didn’t notice that until a friend mentioned she’d been cast as the Virgin Mary in a school play. (Yes, this is a public school. What can you do?) At first I thought she was a perfect fit, but quickly realized that there is no way she was that pale.

I never figured Jesus was a Winter Olympics kind of guy. I picture Him sweeping the medal table in swimming, even if He isn’t a particularly fast runner.

He’s normally got brown hair in paintings but why not? You’re assuming that he would look like other people in that area but that’s not necessarily the case in a Christian’s mind. His dad wasn’t from around there remember? :wink:

Of course I believe he did look like the other Hebrews. If he was blond and everyone else had brown hair I’m sure it would have been mentioned in the bible.

Matthew McConaughey & Jesus, separated at birth!

I think I remember a copy of that picture on the wall of every single room in the church in which I was raised.

Except Matthew McNaugahyde would have his shirt off.

I once attended services at a black Baptist church that had a picture of Soul Brother Jesus. Dy-no-mite!

Stranger

Well Jesus is often depicted wearing (a historically inaccurate) loincloth. :wink:

there is no such person.:smack:

I’m reasonably sure that lots of Renaissance artists did not depict a Jesus that anybody could think of as either “blonde” or “teutonic”: you people are projecting like crazy, I swear to God. Renaissance artists in Germany probably did, though, for the reason monstro gave.

I mean, if you guys think this or the central image in this are blonde, y’all need cataracts surgery. There is a blonde in the second image, but it’s John.

As monstro said, people tend to use representations which are close to themselves, it’s easier to identify with someone who looks like you. I’ve seen Chinese Jesuses, Black Jesuses, Amerindian Jesuses… one of Nat King Cole’s most famous songs is “Angelitos Negros”, Little Black Angels: it asks a black painter to paint black angels, so black people seeing them will see that “God wants us (black people) in Heaven too”.

Mental image, based on Thread Title: Jesus on skis. With a stocking cap, Green & red. And a pom-pom on top. :smiley:

It did happen.

This one is super-popular with Catholics here.

Or this.
Or this.
Or this.
Or this.
Or this.
Or this.
Only some of this are from the Renaissance.

sings
“Turn on your heartlight,
let it shine wherever you go.
Let it make a happy glow
For all the world to see”

Don’t forget this :slight_smile:

Oh, cool! Touchdown Jesus now has a worthy successor.

Rassin’frassin’…it’s going to take me DAYS to get rid of that now!