Normalizing U.S.-Cuban relations?

The U.S. and Cuba will re-establish diplomatic relations and open embassies in Havana and Washington.

Excellent news! Hopefully we get Assata Shakur back though.

When does the stuff like property claims for government expropriation come in? there are still firms that lost property in Cuba; maybe even the heirs of Meyer Lansky? This will take decades to sort out.

Unless the agreement declares all such claims null and void.

Or does not mention the matter at all.

I’m sure that will be one of the issues discussed between the governments of the U.S. and Cuba. I mean, I doubt Cuba would agree to initiate trade relations with the United States if it expects its property to be constantly seized as part of endless reparation suits.

Its been 50+ years. The properties are likely all expended, alienated and the owners dead or senile.

Hey, that’s what* we’ve *been saying…

What about things such as family homes or farms? Assuming a percentage of people who lost out in such nationalisation fled to America that’s a number of families in the US today who feel they have lost out.

And us too. Although we actually managed to get a few agreements on this issue with our neighbour unlike some people I could mention. :cool::wink:

Family homes might have been sold/allocated on to bona fide purchasers/allotees. Farms might no longer be farms now.

Most realistic thing for the vast majority would be compensation.

Fair enough. How it is sorted out, and the numbers of claimants involved, I have no real interest in or knowledge of. However, it is wrong to say government expropriation of property is not a legitimate issue for a substantial number of individuals - few of them Meyer Lansky types or shareholders in multinationals formerly invested in Cuba

The other side of that coin would be claims by Cuba for the damages wrought by half a century of embargo. In the past two decades Helms-Burton went even further by threatening the businesses of sovereign nations if they did business with Cuba.

Bumped.

Obama is now the first U.S. President since Coolidge to visit Cuba: Obama In Cuba: President And First Lady Arrive In Havana, Starting Historic Visit : The Two-Way : NPR

People are complaining about human rights. Sure - but is this a case of, “There’ll always be human rights abuses, and it’s tiring to gripe about it forever, so we might as well gloss it over?”

I’ve been watching President Obama’s arrival in Cuba on TV. Pretty momentous. On CNN they said there are numerous US business leaders visiting as well.

Apparently The Rolling Stones will be performing in Havana on Friday. They are calling Obama their ‘opening act.’ :slight_smile: