Northern California

Next summer me and my honey are gonna go on our honeymoon. We are thinking of flying to San Francisco and driving back to Seattle along the coast. We want to stop 2 or 3 places for a couple of days each.

So my question to the teeming Millions…
Where to go in Northern California?

Harris Beach. Lovely little camping spot with great beach, rocks, wildlife, the whole thing. I love it there.

Pretty Please put in more specific locations (state, X miles north of SF, whatever). Some of us right-coasters are also considering a trip to the area.
Thanx.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

The mind boggles. San Francisco, first of all, is worthy of a week (or 10 years, as I’ve now given it). North of us: Point Reyes is gorgeous for hiking and beachcombing. Gualala/Point Arena are beautiful; there was a B&B there called the Whale Watch Inn, quite nice. Mendocino, of course. Stop at the Oregon Coast Aquarium. Olympia, Washington is a nice college town near the water, probably worth a stay (although I’ve never stayed there). Be warned, though: the coast drive can feel endless. You might want to use an inland route for part of the way.

Avenue of the Giants - about 4 hours north of SF, and the most amazing collection of trees you will ever see. Closer to SF (in Marin, across the Bay) is Muir Woods.

Second vote for Mendecino! Also like the city of Napa or Sonoma – not far from SF, but very different in feel.

Things to do in SF would take longer than I have time for now…

The reason gentlemen prefer blondes is that there are not enough redheads to go around.

What ever you do don’t miss the Redwoods. The endless coast drive of which steno writes is north of the Redwoods. Most travelers chose to turn inland near the Oregon border through Grant’s Pass and east to the 5 freeway. If you’re driving a car with California plates, make sure you watch your speed going through Oregon. They hate us Californians and the cops target travelers with CA plates. It’s rather ironic really. Most people living in Oregon are originally from California.

I wuv this section of the country, but I would add be prepared to share narrow winding mountain roads with lots of speeding trucks!

Pier 39 in San Francisco’s Fishermans Wharf area. It’s a collection of little shops and eateries overlooking the bay. There’s a place there (I forget the name) that serves up clam chowder in San Francisco-style sourdough bread bowls. If you love seafood, you gotta try it out.

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

How about Crater Lake? I’ve never actually been there, but I’ve seen it from the air. It looks like a beautiful place.

Frankie:Next summer me and my honey are gonna go on our honeymoon. We are thinking of flying to San Francisco and driving back to Seattle along the coast. We want to stop 2 or 3 places for a couple of days each.
So my question to the teeming Millions…
Where to go in Northern California?

I found a place via internet called “The Inn at Getchell Cove”, a bed & breakfast on the coast. It looks like a real romantic place.

I found it when I was just doing a Lycos search on my wife’s maiden name, Getchell. We mean to go there someday.

A little advice to the soon-to-be newlywed man: Bed & breakfasts are the way to go. They’ll cure even the worst vacation day if you have a B&B room to return to.

I second Greg’s vote of Crater Lake! I LOVED that place. Incredibly beautiful and remote. Redwoods are definately something to see. I went to see all these things myself and always wished I’d been able to have someone with me; they are so cool!

A wonderful little spot no one seems to know about in S.F. is Lloyd Lake, in Golden Gate Park. There’s a doorway and stairs from one of the mansions destroyed in the '06 quake set up by this tiny lake, the only memorial to said quake. Lovely spot for a picnic!

Pier 39 is very crowded and touristy, but can be fun if you’re in that mood.