(Not a real poll) How much mileage do you put on your vehicle per year?

I’m kinda-sorta concerned. I’ve had my new truck for a year (as of 6 March), and have already put 23k miles on it as of today. Yeah, I know this is a lot.

I had a car, and I only put (at the max) 15k on it per year, but lately I’ve been making a lot of longer trips in my truck for various reasons.

I’m not overly concerned because I know how to take care of vehicles, what problems may come up and such, and I also know that 95% of my mileage is highway mileage.

I’m just sort of curious. How many miles do you put on your car a year? And even more out of idle curiosity, what kind of car do you drive?

Tripler
Mine was ordered in Kuwait: A Canadian built 2002 Ford F-150XL 7700#. A worldly machine indeed.

I drive a 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS with 80,000 miles on it. Works out to about 11,500 miles a year.

I work and go to school about a mile away, but tend to drive 100-200 miles on the weekends. I fly if I have to go anywhere farther.

I’ve just retired my '85 BMW 735i at 104K miles. I bought it at the start of July, 1997 with 66K miles; this works out to 6800 miles per year.

My workday commute is seven miles round trip* and I can usually knock off whatever bank, laundry, grocery, etc. chores on the way. Approximately once a month I take a 400-500 mile weekend road trip.
*unless I need to circle the university a couple of times to hear the end of a story on NPR.

Well I bought my car new June of 2000 with 800 miles on it.
Today I have 10100 miles on it. SO in 33 months I have averaged 306 miles on the car.

So I am using about 5.1 gallons of gas a month or 9 dollars and change a month.

I of course have a work vehicle I can drive to and from work… plus almost everything is on the way home from work (if I drive the right route home) I only need to use my car for visiting family and friends and going to fencing practice.

We’ve a 1997 Isuzu Oasis minivan with just about 130,000 miles on it. It comes out to something like 22-25k a year. We use this van for a lot.

Until last week we also had a '93 Honda Civic hatchback. I think it had about 205,000 or so miles on it. I can’t be sure because the speedometer didn’t work half the time. In any case, it works out to somewhere over 20k a year on that car.

Now we have a shiny new Toyota Prius. It has maybe 200 miles on it, max. We’ll see how quickly it accumulates.

Much more than I want to.

My daily commute is about 20 miles each way, so I put about 200 miles a week on my car driving to work. Errands, trips to visit to relatives, etc probably averages about 500-1000 miles per month. I’m probably averaging about 20,000 miles per year.

I just put down (:() my longtime commuting car – a 1990 Mitsubishi Mirage with 175,000+ miles so I am currenlty racking up all my miles in the family van-- a '96 Dodge Caravan with about 80,000 miles on it.

'90 Civic, 140 k, works out to about 11 ~ 12 k a year.

I bought a 4 Runner last fall and only have 2 k on it in 6 months. It’s the “good” car.

Wusses.

1999 Ford Explorer. I inherited in in August 2000 with 7K on it.

I’m at 102K now. That’s what, 3000 miles+ per month. Over 36K per year.

I’ve got a '97 Aerostar bought new in Nov '96. I’ll turn over 120K miles this week. That averages to just under 19K miles per year. Of course, the first year I had it, I put almost 30K on it - did a bit of traveling. Lately, I’m putting lots less on it - under 150 miles per week. I need it to last at least 3 more years, so I’m very gentle with it.

I got a Jeep Liberty on Dec. 28 2002. As of today it has 8095.

Well, my 1996 Chevrolet Blazer recently self-destructed so this week I’ll be buying a used 2000 Oldsmobile Bravada. I had the blazer for 15 months and put 15k miles on it during that time. That works out to 12k miles a year. It had 62k miles when I bought it and when it caught on fire it had 77k miles. The Bravada I’m getting has 28k miles.

I currently drive my '95 Civic about 8,000 per year, about half of which is long road trips (500 miles or so). I used to drive more, as I put 80,000 miles on it in 5.5 years. In Oregon, I was constantly taking longer trips, and put about 20,000 miles on my Honda CRX in a year.

I have a 2000 Saturn that I bought new in April of 2001, and it now has 19,876 miles on it. Last car was a 1989 Mitsubishi Montero I had for eleven years and sold with 100,350 miles on it.

A 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x4 with 36K miles right at the three-year point (and the last payment is next month!:smiley: )

Although like the OP, the truck gets used for more than I predicted - my “normal” miles are about 500/month. But it has been used for:

Hauling a big, dumb dog (mine) from Texas to Arizona.

Towing a U-haul from Dallas, TX to Miami, FL (and back).

Towing a U-haul from west Texas to Memphis, TN.

Hauling furniture for friends who are too cheap to pay $40 to have their $3000 couch delivered.

All told, probably 10,000 “Hey, you’ve got a truck. Can I…” miles.

We live 8 miles outta town, we have 5 active kids, and we both work. One job is 38 miles and the other is 25 miles from home. So maybe we drive a bit over average…

Bought a Chevy Van in 94: 145,000 miles so far. It’s our tow vehicle.
Bought a Corolla in 98: 162,000 miles so far. We use this every day to both our jobs plus for whatever else when possible. It never cools down all the way LOL.
Bought a Honda van last August: 6500 miles to date. Being gentle with this one so it has resale value.

Buy 'em new, use 'em up, sell 'em cheap seems to be my motto. In 98 I sold an 84 Prelude with 240,000 miles on it. And I miss it to this day.

2002 Saturn L200 I got in October 2001. In about 3 days I’ll hit 25,000 miles, so about 1,500 miles per month. Much of that accumulated on several round-trip treks between Salt Lake City and Seattle, including two such trips in Dec. 2001 alone…

(it’s a very boring drive, yargh)

2000 Nissan Sentra with 33K when I got it in July. 41K on it now… so 8,000 miles in 7 months. Most of that (~6K) is longer trips. My car doesn’t see much action most of the time… I generally fill up on gas once a month.

I’ve got a '98 Hyundai Elantra. I bought it a year ago this last August at 35,000-ish, and a year later it had 78,000.

I had a 90 mile round trip commute to work, plus worked evenings during the summer with a 60 mile round trip. Also, I put a few thousand miles going to DopeFests and other road trips.

My FORD!?!?! Probe has about 201,000 km on it. The spedo actually reads 101,000, I’m assuming because Ford figured none of their cars would make it past 150,000, so never bothered to install that extra 2.

However, that being said - I put about 25,000km on my car per year. I’m about a 45 minute drive from my office, and Calgary is a pretty spread out city - the kms add up quick.

Soon (within a few months, when Bessy finally kicks) I’m going to be new car shopping. I’m sure I’ll start a car thread or 7 at that time. :slight_smile:

I have an '87 Dodge, bought used in '88 with 12,000 miles on it. I can’t say exactly how much mileage it has, because the odometer died for a few years, and none of my mechanics seemed interested in fixing it. (I asked, they gave me owly looks and never did anything. I finally got it fixed a while ago.) I think it says it has 70,000 miles on it, but I’m guessing it’s really more like 110,000 or so.

I used to drive it a lot in L.A., (and at least one or two Yosemite trips a year) but since moving to Hooterville, not so much. It is now mostly “to work and back” car. I think I have to fill the gas tank about every 3 or 4 weeks. I get about 200 miles to the gallon. This car is still hanging in there and I hope I can keep it for a while longer. I like it.