Not another fucking community...

So I get an email message saying a former classmate has added me as a friend on Facebook. I look it up, and among his friends are a bunch of our former classmates, people I’d like to stay in touch with… but I don’t have the time or energy or desire to start hanging around in yet another Internet community. There are just too many of them, and somehow the inhabitants of each believe it’s the only one, or at least the biggest and the only important one. How contact is kept over the community borders I don’t know. Everyone but me seems to hang out in one and only one, and have all their friends there. HOW DO THEY PULL THAT OFF?

I wonder how people ever managed to stay in touch in pre-Internet days.

They used soup cans and a string, or they sent Lassie to get help. Local exchange verses emergency services. Text messaging was a wad paper to the head. Pagers were spitballs to the back of the head.

They didn’t. And wasn’t it great?

We had to walk, sometimes clear across the room. There was a large, heavy device that we had to hold onto, sometimes supporting it with our shoulder, while we shouted into a mouthpiece. As onerous as the task was, teenagers especially would engage in it for hours. That’s why my generation grew up unafraid of hard work and heavy loads.

The Pony Express? :smiley:

Well, it may be hard for a youngster like you to believe, but…we used our heads. And we made intelligent, thought-out, conscious decisions to give our phone number to the people who we actually wanted to share in our private lives.

We didn’t broadcast every detail about ourselves to every person who ever happened to sit nearby in a classroom for a couple of months 5 years ago.

And we walked to school thru the snow uphill in both directions.
Now get off my lawn.
And go tell all your myspaced, facebooked buddies to do the same. You’re making me jealous of how many friends you have.

And try to imagine how you’ll answer when the kid says “grandpa, how did you stay in touch back in the days before everybody had a silicon chip imbedded at birth?”

I think you’re missing the point of the facebook community - you don’t NEED to keep in touch with them, because you know where to find them if you want to.

I look at it this way. Back in the day (if you will), we had a community in the physical space around us, people you’d wave hello to, but not much more. People we saw at the grocery store, post office, bakery, etc. Our kids’ teachers, their friends’ parents, school crossing guards, etc. Now that we’re (a) a lot more mobile and (b) a lot more isolated in our cars and big box stores, we often don’t make such connections in our communities, and can even go days and days without talking to a real person outside of our immediate family and co-workers.

These people - the shopkeepers and crossing guards - are not people you would consider your “friends” or invite to weddings (or really make any effort to keep in touch with at all). You just see them every day, say hi, and go on your way.

I think it’s really important to have relationships like that, incidental ones that don’t take proactive effort, just people whose face or name you see and have a moment’s thought of “hey, I’m glad that person’s around” before you move on to another thought. People who you would never invite over for dinner or out for a drink or really make an effort to connect with. The vast majority of my Facebook friends fit that description - they are friendships that demand nothing more than what I feel like putting into them.

Old schoolmates are the ideal people to have these sorts of relationships with. I have many such people. Just because I don’t really see them any more (because we no longer have anything in common) doesn’t mean I don’t value them somehow; on Facebook I get to have them as my friend without having to listen to them drone on about their perfect children or thrilling job or mortgage rates or whatever.

I consider these to be just like neighbours in physical communities who you don’t know any better than to say hello to on the way to work.

This:

I don’t understand. It’s a common meme, that Facebook is used so people can keep all their friends informed of the most minute detail of their lives. Neither I nor any of my friends use Facebook in this way. We mostly use it as contact management software (i.e. to keep in touch with people with a million e-mail addresses and phone numbers), to keep folks posted on major happenings (e.g. “come to my party on Friday” or “I’m away on holiday for two weeks which is why I’m not answering your phone call”), and to pass time (just like on the 'Dope). There may be people who write down every detail of their lives but that is certainly not the only function of Facebook.