[QUOTE=CanvasShoes]
The cartoon character “Pepe LePew” used that phrase. When he first saw the hapless cat (who’d accidentally gotten it’s back painted with a white stripe), and thought he was “eeen Luuuuv”. And then later when he kept failing at capturing the cat’s attention and affection in return.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I’ve watched Bugs Bunny many times so I know where it comes from. I was more or less joking, except that I wasn’t funny. :o
[QUOTE=MrDibble]
I always thought, him being a skunk, i.e. an animal native to North America, that LePew was Quebecois, not French. So I’ve always had a slight mental inclination to label Quebecois as sexual perverts. Have I been wrong all these years?
[/QUOTE]
Oh, we are, but Pepe LePew’s accent’s is unmistakeably from France. (Or at least it’s supposed to represent a French accent, I haven’t watched the show in a long time so I can’t say for sure if it does sound right. I know it’s not a Quebec accent though.)
[QUOTE=Heffalump and Roo]
Can we get some cites, please? I haven’t noticed this, and even after reading Liberal’s linked article, I don’t understand where the annoying part comes in. Maybe if I saw a few examples, it would help.
[/QUOTE]
You can’t search for “not so much” so I had to go find some threads that I’d been reading. It’s not limited to these two, though, but that’s the general idea.
[QUOTE=Equipoise]
I’ve known geeks and nerds, and no geek or nerd I’ve known would be caught dead using that stupid word (or “Interweb” or “Intarweb” which is worst of all). It makes people sound like a drooling idiot, that’s what.
[/QUOTE]
…it’s supposed to. The whole usage of “intarweb” etc is to make fun of idiots who know so little about the internet that they can’t even get the name right.
[QUOTE=OpalCat]
…it’s supposed to. The whole usage of “intarweb” etc is to make fun of idiots who know so little about the internet that they can’t even get the name right.
[/QUOTE]
Erm, uh, yeah.
ow! ow! stop hitting me
I work and play with geeks. We do occasionally say “teh intarwebs” but it’s when we’re being dorks, which is not the same thing as geeks AT ALL. It’s pretty much a response to inanity, as in:
“…so she started complaining about kids using “teh intarwebs” all the time rather than playing baseball…”
“…blames the school shootings on “teh intarwebs”…”
“I don’t know what time the movie’s showing!”
“You could always check on “teh intarwebs”. I hear all the cool kids are using it now.”
And so on.
I didn’t really hear “not so much” very, ah, much until I started working with gamers.
“Hey, OB-GYN Kenobi is arguing that he should be able to keep his name. Says it’s not offensive 'cause OB-GYNs make more money than him. I think it’s a compelling argument.”
“Yeah, not so much.”
[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
It’s like being glad that, even though it’s a cliché, it hasn’t been used as often as the same tired old means of expressing the thought.
[/QUOTE]
The Straight Dope is a pandemic of slang and word usages and phrases. I infect it with my Western Canadian slang, and I get infected with slang from all around the world, and I LOVE IT!!!
[QUOTE=severus]
Yeah, I’ve watched Bugs Bunny many times so I know where it comes from. I was more or less joking, except that I wasn’t funny. :o
[/quote]
Ooops, now I feel silly. Well at least I’m not alone in showing my age here
Although…I guess there’s cable right?