Not that I doubt what this Naval recruiter is telling me .. but

I retired in Jan. of '79, 10 days short of my 40th b’day. I’ve gotten a decent check every month since then, w/ annual COLA’s. Since last may I’ve had numerous C-Scans, PET Scans, Xrays, and Ultrasounds, plus an MRI. I’ve had chemo, radiation therapy and dozens of Drs. appts. I also spent a couple of days in the hospital and had an outpatient OR procedure. The only thing I’ve had to open my wallet for was prescriptions, $9.00 max. and if I use the military mail order pharmacy, I get a 3 months supply for the $9.00.
I think your going to look a long time to find benefits like that in a civilian job.
If I had put forth the same effort in a civilian job, as I did in my 23 years in the Navy, I would probably have been making around twice as much pay, but not the early retirement and the benefits.
Military life can be tough, but it’s very rewarding. It’s not for everybody, but I’m proud of my service and the contribution I made.

Oh, certainly, the military CAN be a very good thing for people, it’s just that it’s not for everyone.

I might have joined, but I couldn’t pass the physical even on my best day so it was never an option for me.

While I don’t know the correct, official answer to this, I wouldn’t think so. I contacted the Army recruiter directly when I was 17. At some point I was asked when I would be 18 (in my case, I turned 18 shortly before my HS graduation), but being 17 didn’t put any barriers in the way of my taking the ASVAB and taking a train to a different city for my physical. I think that my parents had to sign off on a couple things, like taking the physical at age 17. At the time (1984) enlisting required either a HS diploma or a GED, either of which generally means the enlistee is going to be 18 by the time he actually makes it official.

Frankly, it wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense to wait until people were 18 to start trying to recruit them. You want to get to them before they finish high school when they’re still considering their options.