Not that you care, but I may not be renewing. (Administration of the SDMB)

Wellnow, I’m not sure how gratuitous Reeder-bashing is entirely germane. But your comment doesn’t negate his point. He’s a schmuck, perhaps, but he knows it. He’s not trying to blame it on Nazi mods.

TVeblen was kind enough to reopen this thread that she had previously closed without noticing my link at the bottom of the OP. You could also check out a poster named, I think Xamanitix who was banned, but reinstated. Do I get a cookie for giving you two examples?

I have to say that I am completely taken aback by accusations that the board has become more “Nazi” like. If anything, since they’ve gone to P2P, it’s been undermoderated. It takes longer to get idiots banned, they haven’t tagged many socks, and there much slower, if they do it at all, in closing anti-adminitration threads.

In my experience here, the boards are much more dominated by flirt, stories, and game threads than ever, yet it hasn’t stopped the bitching about it. Go figure.

These things just seem to go in cycles. Every year there’s at least one scandal, one spectacular banning, one ruckus about administrative policy, etc… I really haven’t noticed all that much difference in the last few months, and it’s been positively tepid compared with some of the shit I’ve observed going down here four or five years ago.

Well, there’s this thread, about Scylla’s testicles, which was locked and then unlocked following the debate in this thread.

In this thread, Hampshire wanted to know the secret to a magic trick. Some posters got the mods to close it, based on a faulty understanding of intellectual property law. It led to this thread, where the IP issues were straightened out, and the original thread was re-opened.

Oh, and because of popular demand, the mods now post threads in ATMB explaining why posters are banned.

Between me and Hamlet, that’s five examples. Still think the mods are Nazis?

Reeder, are you by any chance Arlo Guthrie?

Goddamnit, more Godwinism!

Leave the Germanes out of this!!!

I’m so fucking glad there are no more flirt threads.

Just don’t mention the war.

From what I’m aware, flirt things aren’t banned, personals threads are.

Hey, Jackalope…how you doin’? :smiley:

Flamsterette_X’s quite harmless flirt thread was locked down. Something to do with supposedly competing with the Chicago Reader’s personal ads, even though most Dopers don’t live in Chicago. But the new registration agreement says: “Do not start threads expressly for the purpose of meeting other posters for romantic or sexual purposes.” That does look to put a damper on flirt threads, at least in my opinion.

Only one way to find out, someone get to MPSIMS and start an ‘official flirt thread’!

I care fuckall about flirt threads, but this is something I’ve been interested in since the incident. Bolding mine.

The admins probably couldn’t dig up much more than you’ve already provided every reader of these boards yourself. Here’s a tip. Security begins at home. For instance, if one were interested in keeping personal information secure, one would not, on a popular public message board, post a link to his website (requesting critique), which lists a full name, address, phone number, photo and personal history.

That’s like complaining about a peeping tom when you walk the streets with your dick hanging out of your pants.

Does this mean we can no longer say “fuck you!”? :smiley:

That’s the straw that breaks the Trojan Horse, as far as this doper is concerned. Jackbooted moderators and administrators who are in league with Satan are one thing - something this doper can accept, as part of the rich tapestry of doperdom. But sharing the secrets of the most worshipful company of undertakers and morticians is beyond the pale.

I shall most certainly not be renewing. And the board has changed not inconsiderably and not for the better since the good old days of Carruthers,Scintilla and Thyroid. I have better uses for my $3.75, which works out at nearly 11 cents a day.

In Carruthers’ day, that would have bought me a return trip to Amsterdam, with enough cash left over to catch any disease I cared for.

You don’t get that kind of value here any more.