Notable stage shows you've seen

I’ve seen a handful of plays that had famous people, but I think my favorite, which had no famous people, was a version of Hamlet in Charlotte NC.

It took place in an industrial district that had closed down and later claimed by Charlotte’s various arts organizations. One office building that had checkerboard tiled floors served as the stage. They made the setting more of a post-Apocalyptic theme, as if the players were survivors of a nuclear war. They stretched a couple of parachutes across the stage ceiling and lined the sides with stacked sandbags. The soundtrack comprised 2000’s alt-metal artists like Papa Roach. The actors dressed in medieval garb, but added some post-nuclear flair.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were played by women. They dressed in tight leather and hinted they were former lovers of Hamlet. Instead of asking seemingly innocent questions about Hamlet’s motives, they made like they were seducing him, like Femme Fatales beguiling James Bond. In other plays, Hamlet would act eccentric and insane to confuse Ros & Guild, but in this case, Hamlet acted like they were succeeding, then he’d coyly pull the rug out from under them.

Also of note, the scene where King Claudius has his soliloquy with God and weeps, begs forgiveness, and promises to be a good man, was done differently. In this version, Claudius was not regretful of his actions at all, and made a deal with God like he was a CEO closing a multimillion dollar deal. I went to the actor after the performance and commended him on his approach. He said he thought Claudius would feel he was justified for his actions, since he is now king.

Instead of using a single ghost of Hamlet’s father, they had the other cast members wearing black hoods reciting his lines from the audience, switching spotlights from one to the other as Hamlet flailed about the stage trying to locate the elusive ghost. They used axes instead of foils in the duel between Hamlet and Laertes, and they would grunt and growl at each other like barbarians.

I’ve seen a stupid amount of theatre, especially in the last few years (the offspring is going into theatrical design as a career so we’re being supportive), but I’ll try to remember the ones with notable cast.

Saw Madonna in Up For Grabs (also with Simon Russell Beale). She was pretty good, actually. Unfortunately the play itself was terrible.

Saw David Tennant in MacBeth. Saw Ralph Fiennes in a different MacBeth. Both excellent but I preferred Tennant’s production.

Saw Michael Sheen in NYE. He’s onstage throughout, including a song and dance number, so it must have been exhausting.

Tom Hiddleston and Hayley Atwell in Much Ado About Nothing. Enormous fun (and some fun-poking at their MCU alter-egos).

Rachel Zegler in Evita. She was amazing, but the sound system in the theater was just too fricking loud.

Sam Ryder (UK Eurovision guy) in Jesus Christ Superstar. They’ve got a rotating cast of Herods; we got Layton Williams but Boy George, Omid Djalili, Julian Clary and a bunch of others are all doing it.

Pearce Quigley (best known for The Detectorists) as Malvolio in Twelfth Night absolutely slayed. He just brought the house down again and again. That one was at The Globe too.

Other shows off the top of my head: Aladdin (the musical), The Lion King (the musical - twice), Hamilton (twice), Rent, The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, Big River, Hair, 1776, War Horse, Elephantom (that was a kid’s one but the production was amazing), assorted operas, a bizarre version of The Importance of Being Earnest, a bizarre version of Titus Andronicus by the same (now defunct) theatre company, Street Scene, Cats (my only Broadway show), Sweeney Todd, etc etc etc

Seen in panto: Gareth Gates, Steve McFadden (from EastEnders), Stephen Mulhern. If you don’t know who they are, that explains why they’re doing panto.

Coming up next month: High Society with Freddie Fox, Nigel Lindsay and Helen George (mostly British TV actors). We’re also going to see My Neighbour Totoro before it finishes its run - I doubt there’s anyone famous in it but having also seen the stage version of Spirited Away I have high expectations for it.

Missed: I had tickets for Waiting For Godot with Stewart and McKellen. Unfortunately I also had a bad case of bronchitis, and even I’m not selfish enough to sit in a crowded theatre and cough through that. Heartbreaking to miss it, though.

I’ve seen several versions of The Tempest, but the most interesting version was the one present at ART in Cambridge, Massachusetts, directed by [Raymond] Teller (of Penn and Telle fame). He didn’t appear in the production, himself, but his version took the idea of Prospero’s “island of magic” at face value, and was filled with stage illusions.

Another version I saw featured a ballet dancer as Ariel, and had lots of laser beams.

I was 10YO when we saw The Lost Colony and it made a huge impression on me. The production has been updated since. A very young Andy Griffith was in the cast once upon a time.

Now how does that work? How can you put on a version of “The Scottish Play” without saying “MacBeth”? (for anyone who doesn’t know, there’s a superstition that saying “MacBeth” in a theater brings bad luck)

I took then-girlfriend Sally to the Shubert Theatre in Century City back in 1979 to see Annie. Keene Curtis played Daddy Warbucks, Patricia Ann Patts played Annie and I believe Molly Ringwald played Pepper.

I’m pretty sure you’re allowed to say it in the context of performing the play. Don’t overthink it…

The Tennant production involved everyone in the audience wearing headphones (attached to the seats). Not only were there a lot of intense audio effects, but the witches never appeared onstage - they were just voices heard in your ears. Very effective and creepy.

My late wife and I were into musical theater, and for several years has season tickets at the now defunct Candlelight Theater in suburban Chicago. I can’t remember all the shows we saw there, but offhand I recall The Will Rogers Follies and Carousel.

We also went to a lot of shows at various theaters in Chicago. Off the top of my head I remember:

Arsenic and Old Lace with Johnathon Frid

Victor/Victoria with Julie Andrews

Cats

Damned Yankees with Jerry Lewis

The Fantasticks

and most memorable, The Producers during the pre-Broadway Chicago Run. We had front row seats because by the time Patti was in a scooter and that was where the handicapped seats were located. I believe that was the last show we saw together.

When I saw Raul Julia in Dracula, there was no orchestra/band so they added three rows of additional seating in the front of the house. My friends and I were in the third added row. Julia was very forceful in the role and really projecting vocally. At one point he belted out a line and the 5YO in front of me exclaims, loudly, Mommy, Dracula spit on me! :laughing:

The Importance of Being Earnest with Judi Dench

Mary Stuart with Hannah Gordon and Jill Bennett

Pirandello’s Henry IV with Richard Harris

Richard III with Ian McKellan

Twelfth Night with Mark Rylance and (an unknown) Eddie Redmayne at the Globe

Twelfth Night with Mark Rylance, again, but in the Great Hall of Hampton Court

Die Wälkure with Placido Domingo and Bryn Terfel

The Way of the World with Geraldine McEwen and Fiona Shaw

The Relapse with James Purefoy, Alex Jennings and Brian Blessed

The Man of Mode with Tom Hardy

The Play What I Wrote with Leslie Phillips as the guest star

Nixon in China with John Adams conducting

The Duchess of Malfi with Gemma Atherton

Speaking of which, I just found out the Tacoma Opera is doing Die Walkure next month and snagged a ticket. I’m not sure how star-studded this production is, but perhaps I WILL eventually get to see the entire Ring Cycle!

I’ve seen a few operas but the closest to the topic is probably seeing the final performance of The Three Tenors. Luciano Pavarotti, Plácido Domingo and José Carreras. They stopped doing them afterward, making it notable.

I’ve seen a lot of shows, most notably Spamalot (Tim Curry was off that night), and Book of Mormon with Josh Gadd.

But one of the best I’ve seen was the one we went to last night on Broadway, Operation Mincemeat. It’s a musical comedy based on a true story from WW II. There were only five actors, and they all played several parts, sometimes switching back and forth in seconds, right before your eyes. Three of the actors were merely amazing, two were absolutely brilliant. It was quite a funny show, with a couple of moments that made me cry buckets.

Anyway, I didn’t see any ads for it or hear any buzz, but I recommend it very highly. I hope everyone gets a chance to see it.

I get annual season tickets to Broadway touring productions; I’ll be seeing Mincemeat in January.

Speaking of which, as a result I’ve seen 50 shows over the past 8 years, with another 6 upcoming. I do keep a list, but I won’t bore you with it.

Some favorites:

  • Hamilton
  • The Book of Mormon
  • Hadestown
  • The Band’s Visit
  • Beautiful (Carole King)
  • Jagged Little Pill
  • The Lion King (the only one I’ve actually seen on Broadway)

mmm

I saw that and it was absolutely wonderful - one of my all-time favorite Shakespeare productions. For the record, Teller was a co-director, along with Aaron Posner (who wrote Stupid Fucking Bird).

That show also featured an on-stage band and included some Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan music, as well, which worked perfectly.

I just found out there’s a Tacoma Opera.

Yay!

I’m as surprised as you are. What’s next, the Spokane Symphony Orchestra?

I know there’s a Tacoma Junior Symphony because I was in it.

My problem is that while I like shows and go occasionally, I don’t know much (if anything) about the performers. So when I went to see Anything Goes on Broadway some years back, I was told that I was in for a treat because Joel Gray was going to be in it. I guess I looked puzzled, so they told me he’d been in Cabaret (I think it was Cabaret) many years before. I’m sure many of you know this already and it’s like my being unsure of whether Babe Ruth played for the Yankees or Detroit. Anyway, Gray was very good, though I liked the actor who played Reno Sweeney best and the ensemble really stole the show. But I guess I get credit for seeing Gray in action!

More recently, I saw Audra McDonald (and I had heard of her) in Gypsy. Now that was an experience. What a performer.

And I don’t know the names of any of the performers, but the Broadway original cast of the show The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime was insanely good. Unforgettable. Even if the actors’ names have been forgotten (by me at least).