Notable stage shows you've seen

I’ve seen quite a few off-Broadway shows in NYC. Two of the more notable ones were Who Killed Richard Corey? and The Dining Room, because both were written by one of my professors, A.R. “Pete” Gurney.

Dr.Winston_OBoogie
The Wallrus
Sep 25

Now how does that work? How can you put on a version of “The Scottish Play” without saying “MacBeth”? (for anyone who doesn’t know, there’s a superstition that saying “MacBeth” in a theater brings bad luck)

As Gyrate said, performances of MacBeth get a free skate on that. Also, I’ve only ever heard that you don’t say it backstage; everyplace else is hunky dory.

Nitpick, the B in Macbeth isn’t capitalized. I don’t know why. The only other Mc/Mac name I know where the part after Mac isn’t capitalized is Macduff.

I’ve seen several stagings of Waiting for Godot, including the Bill Irwin/Nathan Lane/John Goodman, but the one I wish I’d seen is the Ian McKellen/Patrick Stewart production. I did see the two of them in Harold Pinter’s No Man’s Land, which played at the same time in repertory.

A notable show that nobody else has posted yet: Driving Miss Daisy, in 2010, with James Earl Jones and Vanessa Redgrave.

@Loach I saw Brent Spiner in 1776 too, and found him more impressive than I expected.

@suranyi how was Lea Michele in Chess? I wish I’d caught it.

And @Dung_Beetle I want to see Operation Mincemeat. The NY Times had an article last month about fans who’ve seen it dozens of times. It’s running on Broadway only until March 2027 so I have to plan for it.

Oof - another one I forgot: Chess with Michael Ball and Alexandra Burke. Excellent performances but they still seem to be perpetually tinkering with the plot, alas.

And Don Quixote with David Threlfall (Don Q) and Rufus Hound (Sancho Panza). It was very good but not a musical, and I weirdly missed the songs from Man of La Mancha at times.

I don’t see a lot but years ago my wife saw American Idiot when Billie Joe Armstrong was in the lead role. It was cool hearing a musical of Green Day songs sung by the actual lead singer of Green Day.

We took our daughter to see The Lost Boys this weekend. It was a decent enough fun musical but really stood out was the whole lighting and set design. You got people flying in slow motion. Dramatic smash cuts on live on stage (like with the whole stage). Quite impressive.

I’d go see Operation Mincemeat again if I could! I see one of the players that I was most impressed with was only the understudy. Wow. :grin:

She was excellent, along with the rest of the cast.

I have to admit I wasn’t crazy about some of the design choices. This has always been a problematic show, with fantastic music (which is why I went) but a story that doesn’t really hold up. I didn’t like the way they turned the Arbiter into a sarcastic narrator.

Apparently Lea Michele was the big draw because the show closed immediately after she left. It had been intended to continue with another actress, in fact she was even announced. But ticket sales fell off sharply.

I saw a revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on Broadway with Ned Beatty as Big Daddy, Margot Martindale as Big Mama, Jason Patric as Brick, and Ashley Judd as Maggie. Fabulous! Especially Ned Beatty. I think it was in 2001.

Take it over to my pathetic flop of a dedicated Mincemeat thread from last June expounding an emphatically different opinion. :grin: (No argument on the performer brilliance and technical virtuosity aspects, though.)

Aww, rats!
I’m having the mother of all bad-back-to-work days, so I don’t have the energy. At least you liked some of it. :slight_smile:

I had never heard of it but am intrigued. It’s coming to my town in January and tickets go on sale October 10, so I might check it out.

I got dragged to a performance of Waiting for Godot and hated every Godot second of it.

I think this is more your style, Mr. Fish:

I’ve seen Cirque three times, O (the one with the water) twice and Mystere once. All of them, IIRC, in Las Vegas. I’d go see O a third time in a heartbeat.

Also, in a few weeks, I’m going to this

One of the theaters in Milwaukee has been doing a midnight showing of this, with the shadow cast, since the late 70’s. IIRC every or every other Saturday. I never managed to get there, and at this point I’m not going to a midnight showing of anything. I’m excited to finally get to go and see the live version without getting home at 3 in the morning.

For those unfamiliar with the shadow cast thing. They play the movie, but have a group of actors up on stage acting out the movie in front of the screen. Plus the audience participation and throwing things etc.

I’m taking my (20 year old) daughter with me. She’s never seen it (other than some clips of it). I’ll show her the movie at some point before we go. I’m guessing, being the live version with audience participation, it’ll be easier if she has some familiarity with it.

I remember seeing Spamalot at the Kentucky Center for the Arts. My parents let me use one of their season tickets. Monty Python’s humor would have been lost on them, while I’ve been a superfan since I could remember, so this arrangement made too much sense.

FWIW, John Cleese is currently on tour.

Have seen numerous major stage productions, but if by notable you mean famous casts I have:

The Pirates of Penzance with Kevin Kline and Linda Rondstadt (Broadway)
Camelot with Richard Harris (tour)
Cabaret with Alan Cummings
The Gin Game with James Earl Jones and Cicely Tyson

Although to be honest I have rarely been disappointed with not-quite-so-famous casts, expecially in musicals.

I saw the Beetlejuice musical during its tryout run at the National Theatre the October before it hit Broadway.

I got to see the pre-Broadway test run of Wicked at the Orpheum in San Francisco. It was clear Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth were about to become superstars (previous Tony nomination/ win, respectively, notwithstanding).

That must have been the Curran Theater. I saw it during its (post-Broadway) Orpheum run in 2009 and the only notable in the cast was Carol Kane.