Noted Climate Change Skeptic Reverses Stance.

It is actually better to forget your embarrassment but since you need a cite:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=14905336&postcount=82

This has been typical, requesting cites like even casual people who are aware of the issue do not know that already.

As the BEST case showed it was funded by a denialist institution, turns out they could not deny the evidence.

Sorry, when we are dealing with fake skeptics it is a valid term, it is actually a sign of a losing side that they had to cry foul for the use of a term that matches their modus operandi.

The usual reason is really political, so lets get an explanation from republican scientists:

Like Richard Alley:

Like Bickmore:

And even the most celebrated of the early scientists on this issue was a Republican, back when republicans listened to science that is.

James Hansen:

Fuck it. The world’s been changing forever. We’re not the cause.

Your sources, whatever they are, are discredited, and even more with the recent data obtained.

WTF?! Humans are the cause of all kinds of perfectly visible changes on the landscape. Even North America was very different physically after the Indians had been living here a few centuries. (You can read the details in American Colonies, by Alan Taylor.) And Pre-Columbian Indians were purely stone-age in technology. Why would that stop after the Industrial Revolution?!

And, like with the person who says, “I’m going on the record now. I don’t believe in evolution,” or the person who says, “I’m going on the record now. I believe that races have a real genetic effect on a person’s abilities,”, I’m going to have to ask why you’d take a position that runs contrary to around 98% of the leading scientists in the field, and contrary to pretty much every piece of evidence available to us. And, you know, one that isn’t controversial in almost the entire rest of the world, save for the republican party of the USA. And unfortunately, regardless of how much you want to bury your head in the sand, all you’re doing with your incorrect and pointlessly contrarian position is fucking the rest of us, who want to do something about what may be the defining issue of the next generation, over.

The science is even clearer than 60 years ago when scientists began to say this was going to be a problem.

The solutions are getting more expensive the longer we wait.

Fake Skeptics are reaching the same levels of intellectual bankruptcy like the creationists have already.

I hear you. While I don’t deny that man has probably played a role in the earth’s warming, I do think that the changes that are happening would be happening anyway. The earth has warmed and cooled thousands of times. The current change is most likely 1) normal (in the grand scheme of things) and 2) not anything we can do about. Especially with this guy playing a large role that no one fully understands. Also here. It makes me laugh that with such a small window of the history of the world that they can arrive at any position with such certainty and not be laughed at. And then they claim themselves to be men of science. I find it pretty comical.

But, I’m with you in staying away from the global warming religionists. They’re every bit as hubristic as some southern evangelical. And a tad more annoying.

That said, I still think we should seek to live more efficiently and cleanly.

What is really funny is that several years ago the sun was already looked at and dismissed as the cause of the current warming.

Indeed, this idea is what creationists would be proud to continue to peddle, no matter how often it shows to others how wrong they are. It is like when creationists talk about irreducible complexity, they do not care that the old idea being pushed was debunked hundreds of times already.

Tell me, when was the last time temperatures have gone up at this speed in human history? I mean, sure, the earth has experienced higher temperatures before, but has it ever gone up or down at this speed? Have we ever had such extremes so fast?

Yes, let’s just ignore that we can drastically offset our emissions by switching largely to renewable energy, electric cars, and the like. Let’s just give up, because, well, nothing we can do about it. Hell, let’s not even spent the time and energy to prepare for what we already recognize is coming, because it’s not like we could do anything about that either. :rolleyes:

From what I’ve heard, the general consensus regarding solar flares is that their effect is somewhere between neutral and negligible. “No one fully understands” is one hell of a tall claim to make.

I find it pretty comical that you can ignore the actual research involved, not actually pay attention to how they gather their data and how their research has panned out over the last 50 years (with proxy data stretching back Millenia reconstructing a concordant time record), and still claim that they have no way of knowing what they’re talking about because “they’re in such a small window of the history of the world”. You sound like a creationist. Then again, I shouldn’t be surprised.

Religionists? What even…? Can anyone parse this?

This is the also old old denialist move that claims that proponents (and yes even the scientists involved) use religion and not science on this subject.

This is even more silly when one realizes that this is also a favorite move by woo proponents and deniers of science of any kind.

A PRATTfall ought to be funnier.

You quote simply shows that Heartland and other evil deniers get about 3 million bucks.
It denies nothing. You do not compare it to, let’s say, The Climate Project’s budget or the IPCC’s.
When you compare TOTAL ammounts between deludeds (CAGW belivers) and deniers, then shall your quote be important.

[/QUOTE]
As the BEST case showed it was funded by a denialist institution, turns out they could not deny the evidence.
[/QUOTE]

You mean the non-peer-reviewed BEST.
Even so, it’d show that deniers are truthful.

You love quoting others to say what you don’t dare.
I couldn’t care less if you (especially you)call me a denier, being yourself a deluded, but such a term never foster a good debate even when they are true; it’s Debating 101.
Call me a denier, grow web-cojones, see if I lose a nanosecond of sleep.

GIGObuster and Ají de Gallina, the use of “denier” and “deluded” is now off-limits in this discussion. Knock it off and stick to arguing the merits of your positions without getting trying to insult your opponent.

[ /Moderating ]

As pointed before the scientists at the IPCC contribute their time for free.

You pointed at a group that gets virtually $0 for contributing to that effort, and then compares it to one that gets paid to seed FUD.

Your say so here is worthless.

And of course they confirmed that guys like Watts do not now what they are doing, and they remain fake skeptics. As pointed before, BEST has just confirmed what many other scientists have reported in the last 20 years.

Piffle, as usual you do still thing that deprecating a poster in a message board is better than dealing with what even conservative scientists think about the fake skeptics.

You will have little problem, just hide these discussions from your descendants.

As pointed out I asked for the IPCC’s budget. Thanks for the non-response

Are you saying that all deludeds work for (almost) free?

Whatever gets you through the night, sweetie. However worhtless you still can’t let a single letter go (badly, miserably failing) unchallenged.

But it is still non-peer reviewed, is it?

When your responses are mostly other people’s words, it’s hard to know if you are doing somthing more than cutting and pasting.

Why hide that I constantly kick your ass?

You will stop using the word “deludeds” in this thread.
Final note.

[ /Moderating ]

The point was made regarding what the scientists are getting paid, for the IPPC efforts it is a volunteer effort, separated for the research they do.

Unless you have evidence that is not the case what you are implying is still baseless.

The fact is that you mention the IPCC in relation to a conflict of interest, the experts actually have to do less of their research when they have to contribute to the document that congregates the best research done all over the world.

Actually no evidence was posted by you.

As pointed many times before, and you still choose to ignore, when there is mountains of evidence out there regarding a subject, the best opinion is still the educated one. I see no reason why I should dismiss what the experts are telling us.

As the link in GQ and that thread showed, there was no evidence whatsoever brought by you even there.

But “denier” is a completely correct and accurate descriptive. There is simply no better word for those who reject good science, save for the strongly related “denialist”. Would there be similar objections if we called creatards deniers?

There is already a discussion of this point in ATMB.

[ /Moderating ]