Notorious Hacker Caught!

Why is it my job to do the investigation? Don’t we have people who are, you know, *paid *to do that sort of thing?

I can’t give you the clear and ambiguous statement you’re asking for, and it’s not my job to do so. It’s pretty obvious you’re trying for the “gotcha ya!” instead of addressing the issue. There’s clearly enough evidence to do further investigation- why isn’t it happening?

This was a private email account. There’s a good chance that it was being used for official business. Why was the hacker tracked down so doggedly, when most hacked personal email accounts are considered to be lost, with no effort spent to track down the hacker?

Bricker, you can keep sticking your fingers in your ears and going “la-la-la I can’t hear you”, but that still doesn’t keep this situation from stinking to high heaven, and you know it.

Well, that’s certainly not the issue under discussion. You want to accuse her of that, then I’d want to see evidence of THAT offense.

Look, it’s not a difficult question. You said:

I want to know what your evidence for that statement is. So, sure, let’s assume, arguendo, that the substance of her email was asking her staff to help on her campaign. That has no relevance to the issue of the legitimacy of her e-mail usage.

So, AGAIN: was there official business e-mail in the account?

Well, then you ought to be saying “There’s a chance that there was official business e-mail in the account, and we should investigate further,” instead of asserting it as a proven fact, don’t you think?

And why was the hacker tracked so doggedly? Because of the high-profile of the offense. Most hacked e-mail accounts aren’t national news. This one was. So what?

Correction: Lightnin’ said that. Sorry.

Nobody’s asking you to don a cape, smoke a briar pipe and examine everything with a giant magnifying glass, but how about actually getting your facts on straight before shooting your mouth off. That’d be good.

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

You can see the list of emails in her inbox yourself at wikileaks.

This is the heading on the Schwarzenegger email. Randall Ruaro is now Palin’s Deputy chief of staff.

Here are the emails listed from Michael Nizich, who was Palin’s acting chief of staff and is now her official chief of staff. I’m sure they were just kibbutzing. You know, about the confidential ethics matters relating to the Kardashians…

Oh, and, the wikileaks stuff is almost definitely genuine.

Folks can probably still find copies over at the pirate bay dot com, although I won’t link to it as it’s a torrent site and TPTB here wouldn’t like tha.t

That’s probably true - but the fact is that, like the Bush memos, the political fallout will be lessened considerably because the account was hacked.

Well we caught him standing over the corpse, with its severed head in his hand, holding a knife dripping in blood, and a recently fired shot gun laying at his feet. Also written in blood on the wall, in his handwriting, was the following: “I just shot this guy with a shot gun and cut off his head”.

Yeah, but did you see him pull the trigger?

I know there are laws prohibiting government employees from using their taxpayer-paid email addresses to solicit donations/campaign/etc. Some companies/agenices also prohibit employees from using their busines emails for their personal business. However, I’m not aware of any laws prohibiting a person from using their personal emails to conduct business. That’s not saying they don’t exist; I’m just trying to understand why this would be an issue. (Sunshine laws?)

The United States Marshals Service handles transportation of those in federal custody (like someone who turns himself in and needs to be delivered to court for his initial appearance). It would be up to them to determine what security was appropriate. They don’t make bail decisions and they don’t hear motions. They probably have some rules about when prisoners must be shackled. It’s probably very general, and it probably required the guy to be delivered in shackles.

Apparently the policy *was * to deliver prisoners in leg shackles. The 9th Circuit appears to have invalidated the rule. Federal Court Gives Leg Chains the Boot But Tennessee isn’t in the 9th Circuit. Moreover, a later 9th Circuit case said the Marshals could routinely deliver prisoners in leg shackles for their initial appearances. None of this has anything to do with what the judge thought about the guy being a fligh risk. Court Lets U.S. Marshals in L.A. Use Shackles

I am not a lawyer, and I’m not going to go and peruse the Alaskan Public Records Act, but I did find their definition of “record”.

There is a law in Alaska that all public records be archived by the appropriate archivist and they have a state version of the Freedom of Information Act, so people can request public records. The issue with conducting state business through a private account is that there is no way to check whether the records are being archived. The official accounts are backed up and recorded by the archivist, whereas private accounts are not. If you conduct state business through private accounts, then there is no way for people to access that business. This makes people think you’re hiding things.

The upshot is that, because the public is supposed to be able to access the records, all official business has to go through the official accounts. Of course, there are some limits on what the public can request, but that decision is not made at the time that the email (or whatever) is being written; rather it is handled when the request is made. So, for instance, the tax returns are all saved but John Q. Public can’t get his neighbor Joe Sixpack’s tax return just by asking nicely.

Here’s the 9th Circuit case:

United States v. Howard, 480 F.3d 1005; 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 7067 (2007)

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Great Og, G. Ain’t there a Reader’s Digest version? I like law myself, but even my eyes glazed over wading through that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Upshot. The presumption during the guilt phase of a trial is that the accused should not be visibly shackled without a good reason (he’ll try to kill people, he’ll try to escape, something like that). But the same presumption doesn’t apply at the initial appearance because there is no jury present ,the time in custody is usually brief, and security information about the defendant is often incomplete.

So does this then mean that the defendant in cases like this IS routinely shackled? Even when the defendant has voluntarily surrendered himself?

Yes. If he’s in custody. Although, the case says the policy that the court was considering was district-wide. It’s possible that a different district might have a different policy. The case really only establishes that at least one district has that policy and that the court with appellate jurisdiction over that district upheld the policy. I don’t know for sure what the policy is for the court in which this guy was in and I don’t have time to find it right now.

Where your attempt at a brilliant analogy falls short is that in the set of facts you offer, there’s very little room for another inference besides he shot the victim.

In contrast, here (prior to Tenebras’s post) there was room for plenty of other equally reasonable inferences.

Which is why I kept asking for specifics.

Now, there are two ways to respond to such a request – hysterical shrieking about the request, or answering it.

Tenebras chose to answer it, and, as far as I’m concerned, NOW we’re at the point where there’s no really reasonable inference except that of improper use of mail. So, thanks, Tenebras, for answering the question.