Now that Elon Musk has bought Twitter - now the Pit edition

We’re in the Pit now? Yeah, we’re in the Pit.

Okay. Now I can say what I could only allude to before.

If after all this you are still defending Musk’s transparent mismanagement of the company, if you are still making excuses and trying to rationalize his incompetence as “just necessary business,” if your hero-worship is so powerful that you feel compelled to conceptually transform his petulant thrashing and his avalanche of stupidity into some sort of counterintuitive genius, then you are a delusional dumbass. He’s destroying the company. It was obvious he was going to destroy the company, because the evidence is legion that his past successes were a matter of luck, represent a minority of his efforts, and are largely the product of other people doing the hard work while protecting the organization from Musk’s failings. He is not a hero to be admired. He is a terrible person who has failed up, and this fiasco was inevitable and predictable. The only aspect which the informed observer may regard as a surprise is the breathtaking rapidity with which Musk has steered the company into a wall.

And if you go beyond idiotic adulation to openly attack the employees who are suffering under Musk’s abusive reign of terror, then you are a worthless asshole.

You have an odd definition of suffering.

You are a sociopath. Go fuck yourself.

Your father smells of elderberries.

Plonk.

It is just amazing how many Musk fanboys on Twitter are already committed to the entirely nonexistent Musk phone.

The cite request was for the definition of average, and in particular does it mean that no employees earn substantially less than that value.

But, hey look right there in your cite it says that some account managers earn $48 K. Given that its not possible for anyone to live in SF for 30K a year, are you sure that what with the possibility of dependents and medical expenses these account managers are all living the life of Riley?

Yeah, that’s why I (and likely others) didn’t recommend it be moved to the Pit. All we wanted was for those who get personally offended on behalf of Musk to be banned from the thread. The incivility on the other side was only due to those defenders screwing up the thread.

Someone claimed that there were people making $30K/yr at Twitter. Even Smapti says that admin clerks make more like $48K. That’s a non-trivial difference.

Aren’t posters responsible for their own incivility?

…one of the very basic expectations of living in society is that if you do the work you get paid.

There really isn’t any room to compromise here. It doesn’t matter if you are earning $15,000 a year or $200,000 a year. Its just how things are done.

And while every financial advisor, anywhere should have at least a six-month cushion, the reality in America is that 63% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. Half of everyone who earns six figure incomes live would be in trouble if they don’t get paid on time. That’s just the reality. Scolding them won’t change anything.

Just today, I was waiting patiently for an invoice to get paid. If they didn’t pay on time I would have been fucked. Instead (after refreshing my bank account every half hour to see if the money had gone in) they paid this afternoon, I bought the bare minimum of groceries to get us through to next week, paid three bills, and now I’m broke again until the next invoice is due to get paid (which is due on Thursday, fingers crossed.)

This is how real life is for millions of people around the world. I’d LOVE to be able to put away a six month cushion. But at the moment I can’t do anything else except just keep my head above water.

The only people at fault here are the people who haven’t met their obligation to pay their workers and pay their contractors on time for the work they have done. End of story. There really isn’t anything more to discuss here.

So the workers who don’t meet their obligation to pay their landlords have no fault at all?

…if I had failed to pay those three bills today because the company I did work for failed to pay their invoice on time, then yes, I would have been at fault. Yes, I would have had to have found the money to pay the bill. And if I failed to find the money and pay that bill then yes, I would have had that service cut off and I’d be sitting in the dark right now.

That’s just how living in a society works. I’m surprised that you didn’t know that. When people don’t meet their obligations, that means other people suffer.

That doesn’t take anything away from the people who haven’t met their obligation to pay their workers and pay their contractors on time for the work they have done. They are responsible for this.

Smapti said $48k is the average, which, since you refused to reply to my request for a definition of it, means that half of those employees are being paid less. Smapti also said that employees in Ghana are making $15k, but you seem to have conveniently forgotten all about that.

Agreed, 100%.

:+1:

Differential pay rates based on location are the norm.

You asked for a cite that Twitter employees were being paid $30k. I provided you with proof that some are being paid even less than that. You don’t get to add special pleadings at this point.

While the rest of us are talking about Musk deliberately driving Twitter over a cliff at 88 miles an hour, we’ve got super jeenyuses on this board thinking “What a brilliant shortcut-that dude’s a winner!”.

Well, that settles that!