now then...

What the hell is now then anyway?! Sure sure sure, I know what it means and when to use it, and know that it is a transition, but…but… what the hell does it mean? Now? Then? WHEN?! How did it come about as an expression? Does it make sense in the same way the park./drive-way thing does?

I am really sorry if this has been done many times before, or if this is considered one of those questions. I have never seen it explained before, but if it has, you may point me in the direction with a great whallop of the ‘gry’-stick. Thanks!

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right…

I don’t know how this adverbial phrase arose, but I think it is constructed rather literally:

1. ‘Now’ is used in its only common meaning, the present time, in reference to the time of validity of the following phrase.

2. ‘Then’, here, is not used in reference to a past time, of course; it is used in its consequential sense – the ‘if-then’ sense.

IOW, I think it means ‘If we now get back to the crux of the matter, then. . .’

Ray (So then, now?)

How 'bout “as well”, meankng “too”. “Would the rest of you like coffee as well?”
Peace,
mangeorge

I only know two things;
I know what I need to know
And
I know what I want to know
Mangeorge, 2000

Well then,Man, how about " Now then,would the rest of you like coffee as well?" As well as ," Would you like coffee as then?" Now as we can see these have two different meanings. I looked up ‘well’ and found 15 definitions. Now,as then, I see that any of them can be used in your phrase. Then,as now,I saw that each gave its own subtle change in meaning. “Now”,then had 6 definitions on of which is “under the present circumstances.” Well,Nano, I think that is the sense that is meant here, not “present time” It makes more sense then. tho the ‘time’ sense works as well. I didn’t want to type out all the meanings either phrase could have,then,well,I figured it just wasn’t important as well. Well, as you can see, I am being facetious as well as pedantic. I will stop then, now, as well then as I should.

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx