Now they want to ban the sale of pointed kitchen knives in the UK to reduce knife crime.

But if there are many articles on the subject, why pick the one from The Blaze a notoriously poor site?

Why not choose, for example, The Telegraph? Like the source of information matters for it to be taken seriously, and The Blaze is not reputable (like not even a little bit).

Rope and wrench incidents have remained steady over many decades, but wider lifestyle and environmental changes have reduced the incidence of candlestick and lead pipe bludgeoning somewhat.

Here.

Don’t England and Wales have combined population of like 60 million? That’s the majority of the population of the UK.

Anyway, I’m sure it’s a serious problem. Sorry if I was mainly tongue in cheek, I wasn’t taking the OP as seriously as I should have I guess. I’m sure taking the points off of knives or banning combat knives or scary knives (I’m going from memory of that GQ thread and what they were talking about) or whatever the plan is will work well to stem to tide of crime and prevent future deaths.

I agree…knives are a lot less lethal, and if they are being used mainly as hold up weapons without the intent to kill or even harm and just to rob then it’s not a good measure. Again, sorry I was flippant…I’m sure it’s a serious issue for our UK brethren and sistren. I had not heard about it, but it’s been a long while since I was in England (and it’s been like 20 years since I was in Wales), and most of my friends are in Scotland and don’t really talk about the crime in the UK.

I disagree with the idea that kitchen knives don’t need points to do their jobs. There’s more to kitchen chores than chopping vegetables, sometimes you need to de-bone a chicken or take off some pockets of fat off a roast. I’m no expert but I watch a lot of America’s Test Kitchen and they use knife points all the time.

How about it, culinary mavens, can you do without knife points in your kitchen?

Not easily.

Yep, close enough.

It’s quite a newsworthy problem - a fair proportion of those knife deaths are the result of teen on teen violence. Wannabe gangster shit and the like.

Scotland - and Glasgow in particular - has long had a problem with knife crime. Scotland has been trying a new approach to the problem, by attempting to tackle the underlying causes from within the most badly affected communities themselves. The Violence Reduction Unit is one of the main drivers - an initiative initially drawing from police and NHS resources - and it seems to be having an impact. Basically, viewing endemic violence in a community as a health matter, not solely a criminal justice one.

They took on board quite a lot of practical experience from an initiative in Los Angeles called Homeboy Industries as it happens.

Suppose he’s got a pointed stick?

I’m more than merely flippant about their solution to the problem. :wink: You might even described my internal dialogue every time this idea comes up in terms from the article title - “Brutal mockery follows.”

Defining the problem and crafting good solutions are separate tasks. Too often that difference gets ignored IMO.

Thankfully, here in the Land o’ the Free, there are no knife laws . . . oh, wait.

CMC fnord!

Was going to post something similar.

Lawmakers that think the populace is too stupid to buy and handle pointy objects.

Hur hur hur

Shaddup!!

You know, I realize this is supposed to be a dire indictment of wanting to control guns because lookit here, now UK criminals have moved on to other weapons and now they want to control that but… doesn’t it implicitly prove that the silly leitmotiv that gun control doesn’t work because when guns are outlawed only outlaws have guns" is very, very wrong ? As in, British gun control **did **reduce gun violence, and reduced it so much that most criminals use knives. So it did, in fact, dis-gun criminals.

As to the further argument that “but there’s still violent crime, see ! So it’s pointless !”, well, I’d posit that one can’t easily mow down a crowd from atop a skyscraper with a knife. Or go room to room in a crowded university knifing helpless people. Or really hurt somebody who’s running away from the crazy person with a knife.

Really? Granted, I’m no culinary maven, but if I need to cut/slice/chop, I use a knife. If I need to stab, I go with a fork.

…the Blaze, (founded by Glenn Beck), cites Russia Today, (official Russia propaganda outlet) who cites the Premier (who tell stories from a Christian perspective) which cites an open letter that it quotes from but doesn’t link too.

For reference here is that open letter.

:: shrugs ::

I disagree with them. Their call won’t get much traction. If it does, there are more than enough people in the UK who need to be able to use pointy-knives to make a living that there will be push back and debate. That’s the way it works. This story is a great-big-huge-nothing-burger. Just fodder for the post-truth-media-outlets.

Now I’m going to go scrub my computer history.

Exactly why is it Constitutional to ban the carry of knives. The 2nd amendment specifically refers to “arms” not guns. Aren’t knives and swords arms?

I guess you have to know your audience. Once upon a time, on long sailing voyages, the captain would lead the whole crew aft to the carpenter’s vise and have the point of each knife snapped off.

Don’t forget nunchucks, throwing stars, and such. And those two are FAR more dangerous to the user. Ask me how I know.

So teens are going after each other with steak knives? Tsk, tsk. They’ll poke holes in their trouser pockets, they will.