Now they want to ban the sale of pointed kitchen knives in the UK to reduce knife crime.

Proposed gun control doesn’t look too bad now.

What’s next? Raspberries?

Isn’t this sort of old news? I seem to recall a similar thread about this in GQ like months or even a year or so ago.

Most of the articles on it are from the last week or two. Seems a judge came up with the idea several months back, but now the Church of England and politicians are on board so it’s getting some traction lately.

We might as well just get hooked up to a Matrix-like machine and be done with it.

Hard to believe that they actually have that much knife crime. Wonder if there are any stats on what the level is? I’d be surprised if we are talking more than a few hundred deaths a year, but maybe there is more knife violence in the UK than I thought. I honestly have never talked about this subject with any of my UK friends.

I know that in China it’s a major issue, and one that is very much under (or just not) reported, but the UK? Oh well…ban those pointy knives guys! I’m sure it will reduce crime. :stuck_out_tongue:

One article says, “Last year, London’s murder rate briefly overtook that of New York City—a feat likely to be repeated as crime continues its decline in the U.S.—and the latest U.K. figures show an increase in violent crimes committed with both guns and knives.”

So, 300 or so? Out of, what? Nearly 9 million? And probably a good percentage of those weren’t with knives? Seems…an over reaction. But it’s their circus and their monkey, if they want to ban pointy knives I say more power too them!

In fairness, though, most kitchen cutting and cooking can be done without a pointy tip. And once you take away the stab-ability of a knife, the ability of an assailant to do harm with it diminishes significantly.

Sure, criminals could always sharpen the knives to a point themselves, but that would take work.

“Every knife sold in the UK should have a gps tracker fitted in the handle,” insisted Scott Mann. “It’s time we had a national database like we do with guns.”

Because Glenn Beck is a reliable source.

As mentioned above, there are many articles on the subject.

:dubious:

I think you’re biased.

Definitely. He’s obviously doing a Tegrity Farms bit, trying to cater to the Mayor of London and the regime!! Just look at the name…it’s all right there!

:stuck_out_tongue:

The UK is what happens when you try to baby-proof an entire country.

Please google and tell me I am making this up.

There are (excluding the Greater Manchester Police because of reporting problems):

Prevalence varies by region. Almost half nationally are for the robbery category where there’s no attempt to actually stab the victim. Still in London where knife crime is the highest the numbers are troubling:

That’s about 1 annual reported knife crime per 597 residents in London. A touch more than half of those are attempts to actually use the knife. You are correct that the numbers of knife crime related deaths nationwide are low. That’s below 300 in the entirety of the UK. Knife crime is high though. Death toll just isn’t a good measure of how often someone at least tries to stab someone else, let alone succeeds but doesn’t inflict a mortal wound. People are understandably unhappy about someone attacking them with a knife even if the mortality is relatively low.

There were 728 homicides in England & Wales in the reporting period 2017/2018 (presumably from April to April)

of which 263 involved a blade of some sort

https://www.statista.com/statistics/978830/knife-homicides-in-england-and-wales/

How many involved a candlestick, rope, wrench, or lead pipe?