NPR challenge grants

I often listen to NPR and over the years have heard many of their pledge drives and most seem to include “challenge” grants where somebody will pledge x amount if other listeners cough up y amount within a certain time period. In all the times I’ve heard this I’ve never heard them come back and say they missed it. It’s usually a down-to-the-wire squeaker but after the designated time it’s announced that they made the challenge. Over the last few years I’ve made it a point to pay attention and whenever I’ve heard results they are invariably positive.

I’m just curious if anybody has ever heard an instance where the challenge was not met or know for certain if it is policy to just let unmet challenges fade into oblivion without mention so that listeners only remember successes because they never hear about the failures.

mod note: I put this in GQ because the answers being sought are specific; if IMHO or some other forum is more appropriate since the responses will be anecdotal please move as needed.

My local NPR station mentions when they have missed a challenge. They don’t make a big deal about it, but they do mention it in a pained sort of way.

I don’t know how you’d go about getting this statistic, but I’d be interested to know how often the entity offering the “challenge grant” actually refuses to donate the money if the goal isn’t met. Is some person or corporation that went through the trouble to set this up with NPR really going to say “Sorry, suckers!” if the drive comes up a few bucks short? Seems like it would be bad PR at the very least.